Friday, August 28, 2020

August 28, 2020

I’m watching the march on Washington D.C. on the anniversary of Martin Luther King Jr.’s I have a dream speech delivered from the steps of the Lincoln Memorial in 1963

George Floyd’s brother Philonise spoke surrounded by his family and I watched him rub his brow and bow his head down deeply and I knew he was having a panic attack as the crowd surged in on him I knew it as clearly as I know my own name I thought he was going to faint but they got him out of there and my son said he was being held up by the ghosts of King and Malcom X and Gandhi  Muhammad Ali and Medger Evers and Rosa Parks

I give my tears to the dead today I give my water to the dead

4 Comments:

Blogger Ms. Moon said...

How many times can our hearts break so hard?

August 28, 2020 at 1:46 PM  
Blogger Radish King said...

Mary for some reason these lines from Ginsberg’s Howl keep ricocheting through my brain

ah, Carl, while you are not safe I am not safe, and now you’re really in the total animal soup of time—

and I keep saying now we’re really in the total animal soup of time and we really are aren’t we?

X

August 28, 2020 at 2:21 PM  
Blogger 37paddington said...

Some people really haven’t figured out that what happens to one of us happens to all of us. I love what Page said, and the water you gave to the dead. The living are nourished by it too.

August 28, 2020 at 2:49 PM  
Blogger Radish King said...

I love you Rosemarie and the impact you’ve had on my life. I’m so lucky to have met you in the meat world. Lucky and blessed. XR

August 28, 2020 at 3:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home