Sunday, August 30, 2020

Happy Birthday Summer’s End

four years ago today I went to the elderly escrow lady and signed the papers to become an actual house owner the first line on the many pages of documents read 

I REBECCA LOUDON AN UNMARRIED PERSON,

and then fourteen thousand pages of signatures

it struck me as weird since it had been so long since I had been a married person still there I was a completely alone human woman with a chonky inheritance ready to buy a house all by myself but questionable because I didn’t have a man a husband a helpmate someone to bring home the bacon a breadwinner a spouse a partner a childhood sweetheart a sugar a honey a king a prince a lover boy a bae a main squeeze an old man a hubby a mate a paramour a better half a significant other a lord and master a helpmate a bedmate a groom or a man of the house there I was manless and therefore somehow wrong somehow lacking

the elderly escrow lady peered up at me like I was trying to pull a heist but I finished signing all the papers then asked if I could keep her pen

I have not stopped loving this house since I moved in not one single time not even when Alice cringed and said I didn’t think it would be so rustic I love my huge kitchen with its walk in closet pantry I love my master bathroom with its slate walls and cedar ceiling I love my outer outer room and my library I love every tree in my wood and I love my proximity to Desolation Sound and Port Susan and the Salish Sea

I had a terrible nightmare that left me drenched in sweat when I woke a ptsd dream Hal has a cold so two times a day I trick him into my bathroom with wet food then shut the door so we both have a sauna he isn’t happy about it but it is good in fact for both of us

I’m making pico de gallo peppers and red heart tomatoes and onion and cilantro and far too much lime juice for most people that’s it for me chopping vegetables and herbs and listening to Elementary on the telly not following along but hearing Jonny Lee Miller’s voice is a whole mood for me that and the forest the beach. 





 



8 Comments:

Blogger Ms. Moon said...

The fact that you own that house is one of the things that make me happiest on this earth. I am not kidding. I love you, Rebecca. You have done good.

August 30, 2020 at 5:25 PM  
Blogger Radish King said...

This house was and is a goddamned miracle. XO

August 30, 2020 at 5:28 PM  
Blogger Linda Sue said...

unmarried person!!! for fugs sake! I might have stabbed that document a little bit... Lovely home and I am so glad that you live there, and I love the frog with the whiskers, Well done , you, buying a house is not like buying a new pair of sneakers! It is a big deal. You adulted very well! It is beautiful.

August 30, 2020 at 6:16 PM  
Blogger Radish King said...

I stabbed a little I think mostly I bristled at the judgement slinger. When Hal was a kitten he thought he could hide up there with my books and candlesticks. He no longer fits. But he owns my heart.

August 30, 2020 at 6:20 PM  
Blogger Pamela Johnson Parker said...

Happy birthday, Summer's End!

Rebecca, I have those frogs by which Hal lurks. We are Frog Princesses together.

Signed,

Pamela Parker, An Unmarried Person

August 31, 2020 at 12:04 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

I'm with Mary Moon here on the happiness I feel because you have that house. And I aim to visit one day -- or at least meet you at the Salish Sea.

August 31, 2020 at 11:37 PM  
Blogger Marylinn Kelly said...

I’m there, too, with ongoing happiness for your home and your model of miracles. Missing you. Glad I woke up and googled your blog. I will go back and read all the posts I’ve not seen. Love you. xoxo

September 1, 2020 at 10:21 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Hal! My heart is so happy seeing him with the frogs. I love every inch of your house, land and island. It’s been a richly deserved balm for your soul, mine too when I see the pictures. I’m so glad poverty and the stripper fridge are far behind you. Much love.
Xoxo
Barbara

September 2, 2020 at 5:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home