Tuesday, April 19, 2022

April 19.

 Women are roughly twice as prone to demon possession as men.  — unknown source


The first true low tide of the year rolled a kelpy brine

scent through my house as I stood on my porch

crushing eggshells into vines that curl up the steps

maybe the island is sinking every time someone builds

another house here a man told me this it must be true

a young couple worried baffled at the forest gates

as he read printed instructions on how to change

a tire I demon laughed at him but I only know how

to hard boil an egg giving thanks to the chicken

I don’t actually hear what the eggs are saying

I only know how to resurrect a cake stitch a spell 

into a sock change the strings on a violin or push

a child out of my body and set him free

my hair smells of wood smoke and salt

I have picked morels from the woods by the sea

if needs be cast me out if needs be 


3 Comments:

Blogger Ms. Moon said...

I am swooning.

April 19, 2022 at 9:23 AM  
Blogger Linda Sue said...

The islands, fragile soap bubbles, in the climate crisis , wasting more rapidly than the raspy Tetons that is a fact, Jack! Your delicate morel/kelp/rhody/mossy slice of heaven requesting gigantic water wings and NO MORE PEOPLE, please, will soothe you until it doesn't. Then , I guess- you must move to the raspy bits inland. I wish you waterwings larger than a nebula, the island needs you.

April 19, 2022 at 1:47 PM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

i stopped by the island dear, i stopped by of the evening dear, i stopped by the salted rim of the cup dear, and we sat down.

April 19, 2022 at 7:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home