Sunday, May 1, 2022

Pig and farm report

 


At 4:16 this morning a M3.6 earthquake shook me awake it was reported to have hit between Mount Vernon and Seattle which is basically my house. I made it through a cold and rain soaked April by reading and writing poetry drafts an exercise in humility and endurance. I missed six days but I kept going. It was glorious to jump start the part of my brain that wants/needs to find comfort in playing with language. I took that picture of a daffodil field at the Skagit River between the touristy tulip farms and La Conner. There is a nursery out there that I love to wander in even when the cold wind whistles through. 

I have planted herbs in a pot some chives and tarragon and catnip chocolate mint and peppermint in another. It’s been too cold to plant much else. Lilacs are just now beginning to open around the island. I have a new dermatologist so now I’m trying a cheapo version of some fancy medicine for rheumatoid arthritis though I am not convinced that I have it. My joints ache all the time but doesn’t that just happen when you get old and as of today I am the proud owner of of a Delta dental insurance policy that covers one half of dentures and a bizarre mix of other things some teeth to be extracted some not sometimes pain meds sometimes not if it’s Thursday and the dentist’s dog barfed on his kitchen floor that morning you don’t have insurance for that day etc but at least I moved forward at least I did something. Beethoven said Art demands of us that we do not stand still. I’m locked into the policy for a year. Maybe I can find an adult to explain it to me. In the meantime I will continue to wear a mask to hide my awful broken mouth while I shop for a dentist who does not live “out here” as  in here in the random wilderness. Except for a strange bout of laryngitis that was caused by bad air quality in Seattle a place that used to have the cleanest air in the world I haven’t been sick in two years. It’s been a while since I posted here and this sounds boring to me but here I am snaggle toothed and still crazy.

Welcome to May the most glorious month of spring.



9 Comments:

Blogger 37paddington said...

This is not boring in the least dear Rebecca, it is wonderful to catch up with you, to hear how you process any and all things, and it was excellent too to follow along with your April poems. I am trying to type this on my kindle and all the words are garbled I've tried to fix them, just know please know I am so happy to be here, to read you again, and I send you so much love.

May 1, 2022 at 9:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dearest R, I feel so honored that you read here! XOr

May 1, 2022 at 10:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ps. I am not anonymous arghhh!

May 1, 2022 at 10:08 AM  
Blogger Ms. Moon said...

May 1 was my mother's birthday. Jessie took care of that by being born on the same date. So it is okay. Teeth and dentists- two of the strangest parts about being a human. I am glad the earthquake did not swallow you up. Please don't let that happen.

May 1, 2022 at 1:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Happy to you Mary! I’m still anonymous even though I keep clicking all the right buttons and going through my own blog to post. It’s May! Let’s celebrate.

May 1, 2022 at 1:32 PM  
Blogger Ramona Quimby said...

Definitely not boring. And we woke up at almost exactly 4.16 this morning too, though I can't imagine we would have felt the earthquake in Portland. I love May. I hate dentists.

May 1, 2022 at 6:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello! I’m not at all surprised that you felt it in Portland. Those fault lines and fissures run deep.
XOr

May 1, 2022 at 6:10 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

I'm snaggle-toothed, too, and I yearn for invisalign so that I can start smiling open-mouthed again. I, of course, hate my vanity as well. That cloudy, rainy picture looks divine. It hasn't rained here except once a week or so ago for many months. It's strange and weird.

May 7, 2022 at 12:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have missed reading you so! I think if you each time I cook black beans. I too am snaggle-toothed but started going to a dental school student clinic. It’s fabulous! I recommend it!

-invisigal

May 30, 2022 at 2:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home