Sunday, May 5, 2024

Pig and farm report

 In the season of lilacs and drunk magnolias

 

at night my teeth transmit the truth of small
emperors and exploded planets a song
that was popular the year we walked
to the carnival in Coeur d’Alene and gnats
swarmed my cotton candy you boiler of cabbage
you cap sleeper you stunted slump a week later
laminaria expanded my awful circle
a briny memory tincture that ached for years
shoved me backward down the moss covered
boat ramp the dog I loved whose great tongue
smelled like a deep placid lake the old
doctor said he put a seashell inside me
it was spiky and spined but it prized the little
bomb out on the way home I wrecked your car
music is violence and tissue memory lands
my fingers in the right place or evening prim
rose do you think it’s easy now I séance my gods
I am not halved or quartered simply a seed
I carry will I ever stop standing between
doors one opens and a soprano sings the Queen
of the Night aria slams shut and another scorches
my eyes with electricity and now without prayer
or platitudes like a piano exposing its tender guts
on the street straining and moaning roiling inside

 

3 Comments:

Blogger Ms. Moon said...

Oh, Rebecca.
Well, there goes my mind for the day. Such cruel beauty here.

May 6, 2024 at 7:04 AM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

Oh that dog's tongue! This is almost too much to......it IS too much to take in just now. I must return to it. I just woke up. But what a beauty! So glad you're back.

May 7, 2024 at 3:32 AM  
Blogger 37paddington said...

Darling Rebecca, I came by to say that I am reading here, but cannot formulate a thought about your complex and deeply affecting poetic imagery in this moment, I cannot right now pick apart what it provokes in me, the feelings collide with an explosion of other feelings I am struggling to manage, but my lack of commenting is not a lack of love for you, and also for your extraordinary word art.

May 18, 2024 at 9:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home