Saturday, March 2, 2024

Pig and farm report March the second

 


I have blisters all over my back. Six days ago I sent a photo of a small section of it to my darling friend Mary Moon and she told me it looked like shingles because damn she is smart and she knows things. I right away called my doctor and they said can you get here in 20 minutes? Holy crap I can’t ever get into the clinic in under six weeks so that was kind of scary. I’m all set up with gabapentin and Valovyr (that’s not the actual name, but I’m lying in bed and don’t have the pill bottle next to me but it’s like Aclovyr but a billion times stronger. Horse pills I take three times a day. Crap.

Enough of all that stuff nobody needs to hear it but if you think you have an itchy blister, get yourself to a nunnery.

Ps. The doctor I saw, Oksana,  who I have long suspected of being a nazi) took one look at my back and said CONGRATULATIONS YOU HAVE SHINGLES! As though I had just won washing machine on a game show.

Day six of My Shingles Travel Diary

First destination: bed

Second destination: kitchen

Final destination: bathroom

Rinse, and repeat

This here is a cloud of brand new $30 white sheets from Wally World. I haven’t purchased new sheets since I moved in here seven years ago. They are too gd expensive so this is a very big deal for me. My old 2 sets of sheets had no workable elastic on them And we all know about what happens when the elastic is gone from anything, underwear and sheets being kind of the worst, so both old pair are now basically worn tablecloths. I’m waiting for my son to get here to put the new sheets on because I can’t move my arm without screaming Pain Demons. 


Just saying hello but I’m shaky. Reading The Book of Form and Emptiness by Ruth Ozeki my second read. It’s huge and deep and wild and thoughtful and tender and heartbreaking and I needed a comfort book and a heartbreaking book because the shingles hurt so bad I just want to weep and this allows them to appear.

Also: I’m completely out of chocolate and just writing that made well up with stupid tears. Kids, please get a shingles vaccination. And send emergency chocolates.


A paragraph from The Book of Form and Emptiness 



7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ack! Shingles are the worst! Sending you quick healing vibes. Sorry I can’t send you chocolates.
Janet

March 2, 2024 at 12:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you Janet. If I could drive without becoming irrationally screamy, I’d take myself to the grocery and buy whatever Easter chocolates I could find XORebecca

March 2, 2024 at 12:15 PM  
Blogger Ms. Moon said...

I don't know why but that picture just said, "Shingles" to me and I so did not want you to really have them but I knew that if you did, you needed all the cures and pain relief they'd throw at you. I'm really glad you made that call.
I wish you'd gotten a new stove instead of the shingles though. That would have been awesome.
Love you, honey.

March 2, 2024 at 1:58 PM  
Blogger Ms. Moon said...

Oh! And what you said about elastic is so true. Have you ever worn a bathing suit for about twenty years and it's fine until one day you put it on and get in the water and it just loses every bit of its elasticity and your body is suddenly unwrapped and unstrapped? I'm glad you got new sheets.

March 2, 2024 at 2:23 PM  
Blogger Ramona Quimby said...

Oh shit. My husband had shingles and it was the. worst. May you heal quickly. And huzzah for new sheets--I think we're sleeping on sheets I bought during my first marriage so at least 23 years old.

March 2, 2024 at 5:29 PM  
Blogger 37paddington said...

Oh I'm so sorry you're down with shingles. I had my second dose of the vaccine just last week, more than a year after the first dose, but the doctor said even though I was well past the six month guideline for dose two, it was okay, I didnt have to start over. I remember when my dad had shingles. He as in agony. I wish I could come and take care of you. I'm so sorry you'e in pain.

March 3, 2024 at 3:38 PM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

God I am SO sorry. I wish I could do something. They are the worst. I have had them twice, but mild both times. The second time was horribly painful, but didn't last long. I need to get my second shot. Keep reading comfort books. And do anything else you can for comfort.

March 4, 2024 at 4:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home