Tuesday, February 26, 2019

Try not to think about people who are writing facile things on the Internet. Remember the radical ancestor poets who have gone before, especially those who receive less acknowledgement than they should have, those whose genius was insufficiency recognized. When you feel paralyzed by the pointlessness of temporary fashion, or when dull or predictable work is lauded, try new things that will surprise you as you work for the joy of the process, remembering that all a writer needs are four true readers and one of them can be a tree.

Brenda Hillman 

7 Comments:

Blogger 37paddington said...

the joy of the process, yes. and the other three readers can be the air, the grass, the water. love this. thank you.

February 26, 2019 at 11:52 AM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Oh my god, I love this. Thank you.

February 26, 2019 at 10:52 PM  
Blogger Radish King said...

Dear R, sometimes process practice is all there is. I am lucky now to have three true readers and a boatload of trees.
Love.

February 27, 2019 at 6:30 PM  
Blogger Radish King said...

Dear E, I have it memorized the idea that I don’t have to become mesmerized by the stagnet waters of the internet that I can write from my own fire.
Love.

February 27, 2019 at 6:31 PM  
Blogger Tom Beckett said...

I'm more likely to kiss a tree (shout out to Molly Shannon) than read to one. But their bark is worse than their bite! __Superstar!__

March 1, 2019 at 12:36 PM  
Blogger Radish King said...

Nailed it!
😂

March 2, 2019 at 9:25 AM  
Blogger Elle Clancy said...

I am one of your loyal readers, although I rarely comment. Hope all is well in your beautiful part of the world!

March 18, 2019 at 2:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home