Friday, December 13, 2019

Friday 13

Draw a line around your body—this is what you can control


The poet Kelli Russell Agodon sent that out today in her tiny letter and it has stayed with me in fact it has become my mantra for right now when I feel the whole world swallowing me up in its red wolf mouth

I went to breakfast at the beach cafe that looked more cheery than usual with eight Christmas trees (which gives you an idea of how huge that lodge is) and because there is going to be a wedding reception there later I was the only customer there and the server and the chef and the espresso person came over three dark haired young women all artists and we talked and drank coffee before the morning push of tourists here for the whatever Christmas crap is happening on the island it’s not usually a good place to go if I’m lonely but it was today it’s hard right now not to feel hammered by the current news cycle by the reckless loud mouth ignorant republicans who are controlling the country and are controlled by their tiny evil king

I came home made two pie crusts stuck them in the fridge and disappeared into the sludge of my own crazy decided to make a rustic apple tart because when life hands you lemons squeeze them in someone’s eyes because it’s my son’s favorite he just doesn’t know it yet
























2 Comments:

Blogger Ms. Moon said...

That is a most beautiful lodge. I'm glad you got to drink coffee with the three people there who are no doubt the smartest and best people. And most interesting, too. Eight Christmas trees? I can't even manage one right now.
"Sludge" is a good word.

December 13, 2019 at 1:43 PM  
Blogger Radish King said...

I was so thrilled that it was just us as I brought each of the three Christmas presents ($20 bills) extravagant yes but they are the only people besides me who cook for me and they always make me feel welcome and they cried so presents were much needed and I believe Emma the cook gave me more food than usual in fact she gave me an entire fruit platter as opposed to the fruit plate I ordered with fresh sweet pineapple and cantaloupe and strawberries and sliced kiwis and grapes and oranges and pomegranate seeds which I kept fumbling and dropping and Sierra my favorite server and I bumped heads in an attempt to rescue them. Her antler poked me in the eye but remember I am always clad in protective eyebulb gear.XXXXXOOOOO

December 13, 2019 at 2:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home