Friday, January 24, 2020

Happy Birthday to the kid with spark





I’m writing this in my car but my son is driving because his truck is too wide for the extremely steep winding hills and tiny parking spaces in the inner parts of The City and also because he likes to drive my little hot rod we have visited every person every beach every shake shack every crow every out of the way oddball burger joint every hole in the wall every mechanic every juke joint every gin joint every smoke joint and surf shop in this fair city and we picked up The Cake my son is known and loved and every person in The City knows him he is popular in a way I never was and can never understand we finally fetched some fries at Little Coney at Golden Gardens stopped at the Duck Blood Store and saw five literal rainbows as we drove through every weather system known to this side of the coast I saw or met 40,357 people today and they all count my son among the closest of their friends I have known many of these people for years have helped them in down times have taken them to hospital have gone to funerals and weddings with them have been there for interventions and baptisms and many of these people have been at Summer’s End but I never write about them because they trust me with their secrets and I am so glad to be that person

it was very very good to turn off the news to laugh and zip along in the passenger seat watching the sky and the city fly by my eyes and heart full



4 Comments:

Blogger Ms. Moon said...

Glory.
Love to you both.

January 24, 2020 at 6:32 PM  
Blogger Radish King said...

Thank you Mary. I have been all exhausted all day.

January 25, 2020 at 5:11 PM  
Blogger Barbara S said...

Happy birthday to your beautiful son. I'm glad you got to laugh, watch the sky and enjoy how beloved he is.
Xoxo
Barbara

January 25, 2020 at 6:31 PM  
Blogger 37paddington said...

Happy birthday to your loved son, who brings such joy in you and so many others that spilled out in this wonderful post.

January 26, 2020 at 8:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home