Friday, March 27, 2020

Gas Station Flour Cheesy Bisciuts

Page found a two pound bag of flour at a gas station will I sneer at gas station flour no I will not I made biscuits here is my recipe in case you too have gas station flour any kind of cheese will do though cheddar alone might be a wee bit oily I used jarlsberg for these


Gas Station Flour Cheesy Biscuits

2 Cups flour
1 tablespoon baking powder (trust me)
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon of salt
1 pinch of sugar
1 cup + 1/4 cup of buttermilk
1 pound of Gruyère cheese shredded
1 stick of cold butter (but not frozen) shredded

Preheat your oven to 450°. Combine the dry ingredients in a big bowl. Shred the cheese on a box grater and set aside. Take one VERY COLD BUT NOT FROZEN stick of butter and shred it on the box grater you need to know about pastry and butter and box graters you’ll never go back. Dump the butter into the dry ingredients and work it with your fingers until it is about pea sized and as uniform as you can get it. Work quickly so the butter doesn’t get warm. Sometimes if I’m working in a hot kitchen I run my fingers under cold water before I do this. Once the butter is incorporated add the shredded cheese. You don’t have to use an entire pound if you don’t want but you probably should want for maximum deliciousness. Incorporate the cheese with your fingers make a well in the center of the mix and add the cup of buttermilk. Bring the dry ingredients gently into the buttermilk. You’re not making bread here. Be gentle. DO NOT MAKE ME CRY. If the dough doesn’t hold together add a wee bit more buttermilk but don’t over do it. The dough isn’t supposed to be wet. Flour your counter and dump the dough out and quickly flatten it out to a half inch or so thickness. Just pat it don’t use a rolling pin. DO NOT ROLL THE DOUGH I WILL KNOW AND I WILL CRY. Work fast. I use my largest biscuit cutter but sometimes I use the rim of a cocktail shaker for these if I want to make sandwiches out of them the next day. Put them on an unbuttered baking dish. Bake them for 11 minutes or 12 depending on your oven. They will pop up tall and be just a little bit crispy on the bottoms and golden brown on the tops.

Bon Appétit!

8 Comments:

Blogger Ms. Moon said...

Obviously we went to the same biscuit baking institute. These look magnificent.

March 27, 2020 at 12:24 PM  
Blogger Radish King said...

Thank you! I learned about shredding butter on a box grater from a southern woman I loved and I have never looked back ❤️

March 27, 2020 at 1:19 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Mmmm. Perfect! We're stress baking by here too. Cinnamon buns and peanut butter cookies. Thankful we have a good supply of flour, yeast and butter. There may be a Victoria sponge in our near future.
Xoxo
Barbara
Xoxo
Barbara

March 27, 2020 at 1:58 PM  
Blogger Radish King said...

Barbara I’m pretty sure I dreamed about cinnamon rolls last night. Mmmmm. I considered them this morning but I needed something that would also work for sandwiches still...mmmmm. ❤️

March 27, 2020 at 2:14 PM  
Blogger 37paddington said...

Shredded butter! Now I know.

March 27, 2020 at 6:25 PM  
Blogger Radish King said...

It makes pie crust so easy too ❤️

March 27, 2020 at 6:55 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Wow. Those look fabulous. California is running out of flour, too. Perhaps I'll send Oliver to a couple gas stations?

March 27, 2020 at 8:10 PM  
Blogger Radish King said...

Go for it. It was so random but what isn’t and now sugar and yeast is going as well. I have a box of crappy brownie mix hidden in my pantry. Hidden from mauraders. ❤️

March 27, 2020 at 8:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home