Sunday, January 17, 2021

Pig and farm report

 


I took that photo in the morning thinking we’re going to have a storm and that night the wind came up and kept coming up 68 miles per hour I (cowered) in bed watching the young madrona outside my bedroom window bend screeching all the way to the ground then bounce back up then bend down again lashing the deck I could feel my house straining against its moorings as the trees moaned and whirled then a terrific crack as half a hardwood tree snapped off and hit the wall nearest my bed then a huge ripping noise that turned out to be an entire western hemlock unearthing itself and falling on the roof of the two story house at the end of my road all 120 feet of that tree my power went out at 10 pm then on then off then on then off again six times clearly a tree or branch bouncing on a power line then I saw the flashes of light coming out of the ground I thought at first it was lightning but it turned out to be power lines down all over the island on the roads dancing sparking and hissing wild and dangerous all the transformers on the island blew at once all this time Hal was in my bed pacing back and forth until he finally hid under my covers Wolfie and Jupiter were probably under a bed which honestly is where I should have been 

In the morning I pulled on my boots and put a warm sweater on over my nightgown and walked outside to assess the damage (some to my trees none to my house or windows or car) I pulled some giant tree limbs out of the street that would have blocked cars then drove around to see what roads were closed (most of them) I bought some iced coffee at a coffee stand with cash and stopped at the bait & tackle to shoot the shit and buy more water and junk food an island hub of sorts some people had two feet of water in their houses all the grocery stores were closed no cash registers 

Good thing I was a Camp Fire Girl because I was prepared I was ready I had everything I needed including bread and peanut butter and let me tell you I’ve existed on bread and peanut butter food of the gods

I got lucky

Power came back on just as the orange monster was being impeached a second time and that’s all I have to say about him I am finished and finished 

I am so grateful for electricity and running water and this house this solid amazing little house and the wild trees and deep water that surround it

I apologize for all of this being boring but I wanted to mark the day or close to the day of the storm and I lost energy half way through this post because I have a fever and may have caught a cold running around in the early morning wind in my jammies

9 Comments:

Blogger Ms. Moon said...

Too much excitement. It is amazing and wonderful that your house and car were not damaged but I do not like you having a fever. Not one bit.

January 18, 2021 at 6:35 AM  
Blogger 37paddington said...

It’s not boring at all. You evoke it with such immediacy. Feel better dear Rebecca. Lots of fluids. Love.

January 18, 2021 at 5:43 PM  
Blogger Radish King said...

Mary too much excitement is right!

January 18, 2021 at 7:17 PM  
Blogger Radish King said...

Dearest R, fever is abated perhaps because I dreamed of ice cream. And it’s supposed to snow any day now. Thank you. 🍦 ❄️

January 18, 2021 at 7:19 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

It so wasn't boring. I always want these reports to go on and on. Like, what sort of junk food do you buy?

January 24, 2021 at 10:26 PM  
Blogger Radish King said...

When I am super stressed which is what all stress feels like my choice is always Doritos original. I like to dip them in cottage cheese. X

January 25, 2021 at 9:41 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

I’m so glad your house wasn’t damaged! I think I would be under the bed with Wolfie and Jupiter. Hope whatever you caught leaves as quickly as it came.
Xoxo
Barbara

January 25, 2021 at 10:31 AM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Doritos in cottage cheese sounds divine. I might try incorporating that into my stress diet.

January 28, 2021 at 10:32 PM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

I love this. It's dangerous, but little house pulled through. We had awful tornedoes last April and my friend's neighborhood was ripped up and the thing blew right through her little wood, took down most of the 5 acres of trees, but her house stood still. I love storms. But.

February 15, 2021 at 9:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home