Monday, April 12, 2021

Pig and farm report

 


Spring as an ice storm spring as the first watermelon of the year is so blood red and perfectly sweet that your heart breaks a little spring as lilacs that refuse to let down their green knickers to show their purple spring as pale pink tulips in the house in a milk jug nodding their heads

all the tulip tourists have descended upon this quiet island so my coffee shop bakery is now overrun with women wearing bedazzled jeans dragging small children in by their arms to get an ice cream or use the bathroom while their tired cranky husbands wait so the line stretches out the door everyone crammed shoulder to shoulder ignoring the pandemic go away tourists I don’t love you eating my fear and scaring the whales

I spent an obscene amount of money this weekend on an expensive bottle of French perfume eau de parfum in fact from Paris that carries the scent of fig O Fig God's Candy I had a sample which I slathered myself in and my son told me I smelled like wood and it is true fig wood fig bark fig leaf fig fruit with an undertone of pepper I am so utterly fancy haha I am in fact so fancy that I might shave my legs for the first farmer's market or at least one leg

what I really wanted was a haircut but I'm waiting for my son to get his second vaccination he is off now to the orchard where he is tending to those fruit trees that are left standing and fishing with his father and shopping for a new truck because why would he buy a truck in pricey Seattle when he can drive over the mountains and get one for half that price in Spokane that sucking chest wound of a town that I call home

I spent this weekend preparing my garden for more blueberries and raspberries because the blueberries just took off last summer did you know that blueberries thrive in acidic soil therefore they love pine trees and tomatoes and tulips do not these are things you learn the hard way

it has been cold and sunny or rainy which is normal spring weather I keep wearing my summer dresses but with my leggings underneath in order to call forth summer

I'm reading Vonnegut's Slaughterhouse Five for the fifth or fifteenth or one hundred and fiftieth time I type with Hal draped on my arm as a tiny fierce fur stole my hair is actually long enough to braid so I have been wearing it braided on both sides not a look I have not imagined for myself since I was 30

I have recently been tapering down the amount of Tegretol I take because my doctor said my sodium levels were low and Tegretol is notorious for messing with sodium levels Tegretol for those of you who aren't bipolar is my main medication my number one crazy control my man in Amsterdam for keeping me from spinning off the earth's skin after I bought the parfum this weekend I questioned my sanity for a hot minute because crazy spending is always a sign of creeping mania but all my bills are paid I did not go to the mall and try on clothes or fly to a sparkling city to play I can sleep and read and I haven't been crying or laughing too much and I look okay in the mirror

except for my goddamn hair and there is nothing I can do about that at this point except wait 



4 Comments:

Blogger Ms. Moon said...

That perfume sounds like heaven. That watermelon looks like heaven.
I hope there are no tourists in heaven. Or bedazzled jeans, either.
I need to make another dress.

April 12, 2021 at 10:26 AM  
Blogger Linda Sue said...

tourists in Mini vans arriving daily, Traffic is gross all of a sudden and folks from the frying, sizzling south are buying every available bit of real estate. "Get used to it", they say. This is not the land /reason I have had for living here, enduring the darkness and slog of winters may no longer have perks. Perhaps that will be our savior- the shitty winters- go back to your fry pans you bedazzled ones! Unreal prices up here. Environmental migration, it's a thing.
Watermelon?? Already? That looks amazing!!

April 12, 2021 at 10:48 AM  
Blogger Radish King said...

Mary I have some great summer dress fabric in my sewing kit but I haven’t had the heart or nerve or moxie to venture out for threads and facing and zippers. You inspire me though!

April 12, 2021 at 11:03 AM  
Blogger Radish King said...

Linda Sue I’m pretty sure that watermelon was an accident of nature because every bite was perfect and that’s rare here even in the summer . I don’t think the interlopers will like our gray gray winters at all! I scowl at them too hiss under my breath.

April 12, 2021 at 11:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home