Sunday, September 12, 2021

Pig and farm report

 



It rained this morning after months of the constant drydry sky of dead lawns yellowing trees arid meadows and thirsty gardens I woke to the sound not a pitterpatter but a full on delicious deluge and the trees lifted up their hands and my yard drank its fill

I want to write about Sam about what the past few months were like as she struggled with her mental and physical health (her sailing in and out of dementia) and how my son cared for her with heartbreaking tenderness but when I think of putting words to it I can’t breathe so not yet not yet

It is quiet in my house today yesterday I baked a giant apple stuffed honey challah for no one in particular but because the creation of it kept my hands busy my mind occupied between bouts of weeping I’m still in bed this morning with both feral cats curled at my right and left sides looking at photos of New York fashion week and enjoying my solitude it’s the first time in weeks that I have been truly by myself here at Summer’s End where I just celebrated my five year houseaversary and I needed this quiet as much as the trees need rain

Why don’t you all join me here in this newly green place and we can break bread together and discuss our costumes for the Met Gala or gardens or art or god or tide tables or baking or perfume or books or sewing or animal hijinks or dahlias or sourdough starters or aging anything anything at all but politics 


Big Love from the seaside,

Rebecca




9 Comments:

Anonymous Dave Bonta said...

That sounds lovely.

September 12, 2021 at 10:37 AM  
Blogger Radish King said...

Dave! Hello. Welcome back. (thank you) R~

September 12, 2021 at 10:40 AM  
Blogger Ms. Moon said...

What a most-worthy loaf of challah that is. It knows your heart was in it.
Rest.

September 12, 2021 at 12:18 PM  
Blogger Radish King said...

Thank you Mary Moon. I can tell you that it was as eggy as a brioche and sweet like those Hawaiian rolls. Yum.

September 12, 2021 at 3:05 PM  
Blogger 37paddington said...

I'll watch you make challah. Then we'll listen to the rain. Hugs.

September 12, 2021 at 5:15 PM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

I wish I could sit with you on your sofa and brush your hair. And braid it. And fasten off the ends with those little plastic barrettes we used to use--one yellow, one blue. Cry as much as you will. And yowl. I will press my feet into the small of your back and keep you steady.

September 12, 2021 at 5:54 PM  
Blogger Radish King said...

Dearest R, I can’t think of anything better. XOR

September 13, 2021 at 9:37 AM  
Blogger Radish King said...

Rebecca thank you as always fir keeping watch. 👁

September 13, 2021 at 9:38 AM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

I'll take some challah and we can talk about that Kardashian outfit.

September 14, 2021 at 12:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home