Thursday, August 6, 2020

Pig and farm report

Rosemarie sent me this spectacular carrot cake for my birthday which I had almost as much fun unboxing as I did eating and I mean almost as it was indecently delicious 


I took a little break from writing here and now I see blogger has completely changed its mind about what it wants to be when it grows up it took me a couple seconds to figure out how to post those photos and I have no idea how they will fit on the page will I have to eventually write in something other than my elderly iPad damn

I can’t see when I type but that might be because I’m typing in bed and jesus is punishing me for sloth the reason I haven’t been writing is because I’m being summerly which I tend to do and as long as I can avoid the news I’m happy sleeping with no mania for months or possibly I’m manic all the time and the rest of the world finally caught up

I have not eaten a single fig but I plan to correct that tomorrow today I did the big shopping three weeks worth of shopping and I asked four people to please not wear their masks around their chins this in Snohomish County the actual epicenter of the disease in this country I felt combative and pissed since two of the people I spoke to were working in the store one was putting away produce the other working in the bakery I came home and sent the store a scathing letter I get so angry at stupid the store is the Kroger QFC in Stanwood in case you want to stay away I’m done shopping there and will take my business to Haggen’s down by the freeway from now on

my tomato plants are full of fruit every morning I bend down and pull weeds and just inhale and wait in that fragrance my blueberries are finally blue but not quite sweet the little madrona outside my bedroom window my arbutus menziesii is shedding its brownredbrown bark for the first time since I bought this house four years ago and it is dramatic and stunning my yard is full of these amazing trees

I woke to hard rain this morning I asked Page two days ago to climb up on the roof and dig the pine needles out of the gutters which he did just in time as we used to say at the Big Airplane Factory jit factory work the kanban method of always being busy managing your flow which always makes me think of Ken Kesey who wrote go with the flow who lived that flow and I think about the shop every day what it looks like now who is left the people who had seniority or the fastest workers I was a fast worker my fingers flying across the form boards as I bent and strung and crimped and tied the wire bundles that control everything inside the airplanes until the tendons in my thumbs shredded and I had surgery to rebuild them running for miles a day on that concrete floor but now I’m reminiscing like a grandpa here is kanban in Japanese 看板

for some mysterious reason my son finally got interested in my science experiments the terrariums and he wants to make one in an olive oil bottle he has saved since his olden days I can’t wait to see what he comes up with it has a narrow mouth so he will be planting with my long long tweezers

today I made a will through LegalZoom all I have to do now is wait for the actual papers to get here then get it notarized then bob’s yer uncle it isn’t the first time I have admitted to myself that I may die from the virus I also showed my son where I keep the deed to the house and the title to my car here in a couple weeks I’m going to talk to the bank just to make sure everything is squared away financially for him and I reminded him that I want to be cremated and told him if I get sick in a coma to just pull the damn plug then he got a little freaked out and wouldn’t let me talk about it any more one of the greatest parts of keeping a garden is watching how everything goes back to dirt

has anybody been watching Perry Mason on HBO I think it is fantastic and so much closer to Erle  Stanley Gardner’s books than the constipated black and white version of my youth

my television died for two days and I had to let a stranger into my house to fix it and I wasn’t happy about it for many reasons but at least he kept his mask on inside ugh after he left I boiled the entire house in bleach and lye

I stood in the Skagit River hello






ps. I figured out how to edit images but now it won’t let me update my post

8 Comments:

Blogger Elizabeth said...

Your writing just blows me away. How do you do it? That bit about Perry Mason and constipation was so brilliant. I’m buoyed.

August 6, 2020 at 11:10 PM  
Blogger Ms. Moon said...

You have been doing THE HARD things. Wills and calling repair people and grocery shopping. That cake is a sweet reward and as I may have said to you before, Rosemarie is a peach of a person and a stellar human being.
Are you going to make a tomato pie this year? I made the one and that was that. Or did I make two? I can't remember. Anyway, I love your Pig and Farm reports. I can feel our connections so strongly even though we sometimes appear to live on different planets. Plus I love you.

August 7, 2020 at 6:08 AM  
Blogger Radish King said...

Elizabeth thank you your words about my writing mean everything especially since I’ve been so slack in my daily writing practice. Have you seen the new Perry Mason? I think of you each time I watch it. That stunning vision of 1932 Los Angeles feels so true. My best step father the one who put a violin in my hands used to love there during that era and the show is exactly as he used to describe it. XO

August 7, 2020 at 6:18 AM  
Blogger Radish King said...

Oh Mary I am considering that tomato pie every time I go to the garden now. So rich and wicked and delicious and this in a season of pies. Oh yes you bet I will make one and maybe another to send over the mountains to my ex husband in exchange for the cherries and apricots that come from what is left of the orchards. I dream of tha pie but only one. XO

August 7, 2020 at 6:21 AM  
Blogger Linda Sue said...

well, that's my day, Going to read and re read this post all day, maybe pop down to Haggen to buy more carrot cake, drink something hot and something cool, lather every word of your delicious writing , rinse, repeat, sit in your madrona forest, snorting tomato fragrance, read reread, swoon.
Wills are a good idea and good for you! I showed Dennis how to shut down my ETSY stupidity if i blast off. Our wills are complete- the boys will be well taken care of, and that is a comfort.
Erik found the video of him getting assaulted , all charges dropped. It is a horror to watch .
Perry Mason sounds worthy. HBO cheap enough especially now that spending is zip. Thanks for the recommendation.

August 7, 2020 at 8:16 AM  
Blogger Radish King said...

Linda Sue I read about Erik finding the video proof of his assault how perfectly awful for him to have to relive it in all the ways he’s had to relive it and how perfectly awful if you saw it as well. Our lion headed boys. Our beloved sons making the world better doing the right thing. I could just burst with pride for these children these bright beacons out in the streets of America showing the rest of the country how to get shit done as Mr. Nancy said in American Gods. XO

August 7, 2020 at 9:58 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

I agree with Elizabeth about your writing, there’s so much in this post that made me go “ahhh”. I’ve thought the same, has the rest of the world finally caught up?
The cake is gorgeous! A generous gift from a very special soul. I need to do my will too, and leave all my accounts and passwords. I love that everything does return to dirt and beauty is sprung from it. A good reminder following recent and impending loss. Much summery love to you!
Xoxo
Barbara

August 7, 2020 at 3:02 PM  
Blogger 37paddington said...

I am so glad you enjoyed the cake! I have to visit Legal Zoom, too. I need to be a grown up but have been putting it off like the willful child that I am.

August 8, 2020 at 8:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home