Friday, July 17, 2020

Three strange things

A wasp nest attached to my back door that looks like the Invisible Man in a hat



An alligator lizard of all the goddamn things in my yard near the roses the lizard was about seven inches long more alligator than lizard he lunged at me so I lunged back




A wee mushroom the size of my fingertip growing in an orchid on my windowsill



There are so many things I want to write but this much exhausted me Portland is a fire bomb in my heart I have zero plans for July for the first time in maybe ever I have so many friends who are teachers who are deeply concerned about the school year when I taught orchestra in middle school I could not have imagined containing all. those. droplets. I built a plant stand today I have green tomatoes and sugar snap peas and roses and calla lilies in my garden I made cinnamon rolls last week and canned marionberry jam this week

I feel adrift lost at sea I wave from my boat Ahoy! Ahoy!



10 Comments:

Blogger Ms. Moon said...

And if I was a pirate I would say, Avast me matey! Come here and kiss my cheek. And we would drink some rum and make some pickles and do the best we can. I still say that the alligator lizard is what we here in the paleo-land of Florida would call a skink.

July 17, 2020 at 5:00 PM  
Blogger Radish King said...

We have skinks here but they are shiny with blue tails and racing stripes and no snake heads. 🦎!

July 17, 2020 at 5:27 PM  
Blogger Ramona Quimby said...

It's weird being in Portland, where it feels...normal. Protests are peaceful, families are out, masked and happy. One of the protests was down the street from us last night, organized by young people and peaceful and near 10 PM we started hearing the police caterwauling and threatening to use munitions because they were shining flashlights in their eyes and then protesters reported unmarked vans driven by men in camo whisking protesters away as they walked home. We have seen a lot of large trucks in our 'hood (the precinct near us is where they house their paramilitary equiptment I think).

So today I went to feed store and bought one tiny chick and put her under my broody hen and I really hope this works and we need some joy like that.

July 17, 2020 at 6:45 PM  
Blogger Radish King said...

O Portland. So much desire for the city of my young dreams. I wish you and your chick the warmest roost. Be safe dear Poet.
XO

July 17, 2020 at 6:52 PM  
Blogger 37paddington said...

Ahoy ahoy. The world is imploding. People are stolen off the streets. We have to protect our inner wiring from short circuiting now. I love you.

July 17, 2020 at 7:58 PM  
Blogger 37paddington said...

Oh, and the terraria are from amazon. Search terrariums.

July 17, 2020 at 7:59 PM  
Blogger Radish King said...

I read this house we have to protect our inner wing. Both things are true. Sending love to you and yours and going down an Amazonian rabbit hole. 🐇❤️

July 17, 2020 at 8:12 PM  
Blogger Linda Sue said...

you know that I can not comment because son in peril. You know...Carry on, this is just practice, all of it ! I love your little dinosaur thing in the dirt!

July 18, 2020 at 8:08 AM  
Blogger Radish King said...

Linda Sue, every day I think about your son there and you here. Watching with my words stuck in my throat.
Love
Rebecca

July 18, 2020 at 8:17 AM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Every day I keep repeating, What is happening?

July 20, 2020 at 2:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home