Saturday, July 24, 2021

Pig and farm report

Deep in the season of cherry light five days before my 68th birthday I am content a continent of quiet joy this feels new this feels miraculous unsick in the head unsick in the foot or knee or rib or gut here in my good green heaven with my cats and books and little want little need of much else I do fall into my right rhythms in summer my skin is happier standing in the water at the edge of the earth in the full moon low tide that kelpy vegetal fragrance that signals the birth of beginnings that signals music under my fingers wood waking up in the form of going back to beginning scales and etudes and arpeggios to slowing down Bach until my practice takes over again 

yesterday I drove to town for the farmers market and on the road back that narrow slip of land where I can see water on both sides of me I saw a golden eagle sitting on a wooden post and I stopped my car in the middle of the road to look at him so huge taller than a bald eagle and heavy muscled I took no photo I just sat with my hands on the steering wheel and trembled he was incredibly wild an untamed rare thing not meant for my eyes but he showed himself and this was a gift

There is a large colander full of marionberries on my kitchen counter but I’ve been eating them like candy now there are not enough to make jam I have some figs that I stuff with goat cheese and drizzle with honey until and bake until they warm and this has been my breakfast all week I have ripe cherry tomatoes from my garden Hal sleeps stretched out at my side when I first wake and turn on the light to read I keep the windows open and the television off the deer walk around in the yard I had to dispatch a small hornet’s nest under my deck I paint a little in the morning I listen to Mozart and Beethoven and Copland and Prokofiev and every weekday at noon I turn on the radio to KING FM our classical music station and listen to Bach’s lunch for an hour



and nothing stings                  and nothing hurts             and I remembered how to read           and owls sing  and rooster calls                     and feral cats purr at my side              and I am a musician once again         

and I want for nothing

I have a small plan for my birthday not Newport but I’m not weeping for the Oregon coast my plan is to order breakfast from the little state park cafe then take myself to an actual mall to get my ears re-pierced yet again then shop like the girly girl I have always been this may not seem like much of a plan to you but you might not be a Leo at almost 68 standing on the earth’s edge in the low tide


Today the moon is 100% full 

this is the Authentic Shark’s Tooth In The Undersea Gardens Gift Shop moon 






12 Comments:

Blogger Ms. Moon said...

I completely understand that plan of a birthday. I like it very much.
And I love the name of the moon this month.

July 24, 2021 at 9:36 AM  
Blogger Radish King said...

Darling Mary I knew you would understand.

July 24, 2021 at 9:42 AM  
Blogger Linda Sue said...

Lovely days spent with mother nature while she lasts, Spend every moment with her! Birthdays are between you and her really. No longer an excuse for a party of well wishers and noise. Happy Birthday , young one.

July 24, 2021 at 10:54 AM  
Blogger Radish King said...

Dear Linda Sue, I am afraid to tell you that I am a huge birthday party ho. Embarrassingly so. Not during times of plague though. I am still getting my fancy breakfast to go and I wear a mask every second I’m among people even at the farmers market. ~Especially~ at the farmers market. As long as the flags fly I’m staying safe. Thank you !

July 24, 2021 at 11:01 AM  
Blogger 37paddington said...

This report lifts my heart, lifts my mood today, I love how you're caring for yourself standing in the water at low tide, standing under the moon, reading, making music, all of it like new. You give me hope of things being possible, of the way life can be when we allow it to be. Hugs, dear friend. Lovelovelove

July 24, 2021 at 11:57 AM  
Blogger Radish King said...

Darling R, I take every single day as a gift. I never thought I would ever find this girl in me again. I am grateful I am grateful I am grateful (and for you) xo

July 24, 2021 at 12:11 PM  
Blogger margaret said...

so good reading the beauty of your words. i still keep all your postcards from waay back when we had that exchange. you are still my inspiring hope. happy happy birthday month all along. xxoo

July 24, 2021 at 1:46 PM  
Blogger Radish King said...

O hi Margaret my fellow island girl. I plan on writing postcards again here in the near future. Enjoy the riches of summer. R

July 24, 2021 at 3:25 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

July is July because you were born in it, as was Mary Moon and my son Henry. It's a good month. Carl recently photographed a nest of golden eagles and their youth. Wild indeed.

July 24, 2021 at 11:46 PM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

Ooooooh! I am so very glad you are back. I've been checking and rechecking every day, waiting for you. And here you are, all berried and summered and birthdayed. Happy. Golden and Fierce. What music you make.

July 25, 2021 at 9:04 PM  
Blogger Radish King said...

Elizabeth Carl would love the bird life out here. I am singularly amazed every single day.

July 30, 2021 at 7:55 PM  
Blogger Radish King said...

Hi Rebecca and hello. Not much happy these days just going in then going out. I know you know. RtL

July 30, 2021 at 7:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home