Tuesday, December 19, 2023

Pig and farm report

 




This morning I opened a blister the size of the pad of my right index finger and peeled off the skin which will rehabilitate itself as I rehabilitate myself season after season. It is early I smell of toothpaste and apples. It took me seventy years to be this beautiful the word I most overuse when writing to myself my flying off imperfect self. I am quiet now my legs are white and covered in soft fur because I refuse to ever shave any part of my body again. My hair is French-Canadian from swimming in a bitter river all last summer with milfoil blading up and down my arms. I swam past the upswept roofs of the Water Barons I swam past boats and discarded Christmas trinkets. I floated under the flower bridge under docks under canoes under oxen drinking under girls washing their clothes on rocks. I swam past a bistro painted like Frida Kahlo a well cleaned spigot leading to the mouth of July. I swam naked my chilled legs scissoring like teenage Esther Williams in 1939 at the Los Angeles Athletic Club a million dollar mermaid a femme fatale synchronized and holy in a white swimsuit. 

Once I built a house in my head during deep prana-bindu hypnosis from the foundation up a house where I could conjure people and ideas and spill my fortune or create it a house above the sea that roiled and jumped with dolphins and whales. Eventually that house became this house in all its infinite beauty.

When I was a girl I lived in a house with fireplaces in all the rooms. I was thirteen years old. Not a run-away but thrown out of my mother's house and the house with the fireplaces was not my house. I was a child squatting there with other unhoused and homeless children through a frozen Spokane winter a city known for brutal temperatures. The house was in the industrial section of Spokane a deserted place with boarded up windows and no electricity but there was a wood stove to heat water for sponge baths and cooking and fireplaces in each of the six or seven or eight bedrooms. I lost my virginity (I didn't actually lose it I gave it up willingly) in one of those bedrooms a fire roaring in the grate me wearing my child's white nightgown a ludicrous queasy bride on a bare mattress on a floor the smell of woodsmoke already grown into my skin. Once you are in the business of building fires to survive it's hard to scrub that ash out. I kept my hands in my pockets all the time at school because I was ashamed of the smoke dirt in my fingers crevices.

I don't know why I wrote myself down this path. It has made me shaky and weird. There is something about the season that is both terrible and bright and even with a hollowed out family of origin we still travel there in our heads. The question is how can I jump out of the airplane if I can't even locate a body of water in which to land? 

Robots of my heart rejoice. Your time has come.



9 Comments:

Blogger Ms. Moon said...

Somewhere, it might even possibly have been nursing school, I heard that blisters are nature's bandaids. I have no idea if this is true but it could be.
You are the bravest woman and you always have been, even long before you gave your virginity away in that little girl nightgown. I hope you loved that boy, at least a little. I have been thinking a lot about my first real boyfriend and if I saw him today I would scream and run but in dreamworld, he is just as he was, tender and the first. It is a conundrum. That boy no longer exists nor does the girl he loved.
And yet...
Your mother. She does not deserve that name. Nope. She never did. But you know what? She did not destroy you. In fact, you can still fly in both air and in water. And you do.
I love the beautiful, flying Rebecca.

December 19, 2023 at 2:16 PM  
Blogger sparklingmerlot said...

Mary sent me and I am so glad she did.

December 19, 2023 at 3:30 PM  
Anonymous Rebecca said...

Mary thank you for dropping in tonight and that you too sparkling merlot for finding me here!

December 19, 2023 at 4:16 PM  
Anonymous Ivy said...

Sending you love, Ms LEL, for your every age, and every timeless century in which you dwell ❤️❤️

December 23, 2023 at 2:14 PM  
Blogger 37paddington said...

I was thinking as I was reading that you dreamed the house you live in now, constructed it from the air, above the sea, and then it called you, and now here you are, you goddess, you woman-child, who knows how to make fire, to survive. Lovelovelove

December 25, 2023 at 10:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are absolutely right that’s exactly what I did. I never lost that dream that image in my head. This house fits me like the most perfect Cinderella slipper. Much love, Rebecca

December 25, 2023 at 10:33 AM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

What I love is that despite all, when you write, we all answer and write after you, our voices melt and become yours. You are beloved.

December 26, 2023 at 9:09 PM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

How breathtaking this is. How good to draw close to you, to hear these words. These words. You are so lovely, so golden-tipped and lavender haired. You are one of the flowers I plucked as a child which, when inverted, revealed themselves to be such elegant dancers. You are such an elegant dancer, you skate across waves, you plunder the barrens.

December 27, 2023 at 7:06 PM  
Blogger Pamela Johnson Parker said...

"Once you are in the business of building fires to survive it's hard to scrub that ash out."

Sentences like these--Cinderella's Aftermath in less than 20 words--are why I so love your writing. I'm glad you're back here.

April 19, 2024 at 1:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home