Tuesday, July 11, 2017

owning my crazy 5.

fr instance on Sunday I drove to the annual Highland Games on the Skagit River I wisely avoided the carnival concession stands and wandered around saw some cool stuff talked to people talk salad talktalk then I got hot after walking for five hours and I found a way to get down to the river where I was able to cool my legs then I decided to go to my favorite Mexican restaurant in town and I was seated behind a man and his family the man was screaming about Muslims and how they were all out to destroy America (his exact words) and praising Trump and then he started complaining loudly about the fact that the restaurant had French fries on their menu and why would a Mexican place have French fries instead of tacos pronounced tack-ohs (the other side of the restaurant is a steak house) and I could see the Latina waitress getting anxious and when I finished my meal I walked up to the man's table and quietly said Excuse me I could not help overhearing your conversation I am a Muslim and your words were hurtful and offensive and he started screaming at me GOOD YOU GODDAMN PIECE OF SHIT GO BACK TO YOUR OWN COUNTRY YOU CHICKENSHIT TERRORIST even though I am the whitest woman in the universe then I walked out and he followed me to my car still screaming obscenities so I got out my phone and began to film him as he was holding the door to the restaurant open so everyone inside could hear him then he followed me to my car still screaming so I grabbed my Club steering wheel lock which is extremely heavy and sharp and pointed it at him and he went back inside and I tore out of there thinking he was going to follow me and honestly I would have done this had I been sane but it sure felt like part of my crazy and I felt shame and fear for hours after

when I was poor I kept a small Lodge cast iron skillet in my car as a weapon the Club is even better as it has mean ridges

I guess I'll not be going back to that restaurant since I made a scene of sorts even though I kept my voice down now that I have some distance on it I'm glad I spoke up but I knew this part of the state was viciously pro-Trump I knew it when I moved here

I apologize for adding to that man's anger but not for defending whomever might have been hurt by his words


9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You were tremendously brave and honorable and I'm proud to know you. Praying the animal gods protect you from harm. I keep an aluminum baseball bat in my car. You own your crazy with grace. Love.
Xoxo
Barbara

July 11, 2017 at 6:44 PM  
Blogger Radish King said...

(((Barbara)))

July 11, 2017 at 7:12 PM  
Blogger 37paddington said...

You are my hero. Thank you. But be safe. I love you.

July 11, 2017 at 8:16 PM  
Blogger Radish King said...

Oh love crying now because I have the right kind of friends. (((R)))

July 11, 2017 at 8:18 PM  
Blogger Ms. Moon said...

Well. That was amazing and I love you.

July 12, 2017 at 5:50 AM  
Blogger Elle Clancy said...

Girl, you dazzle me. I applaud you for standing up for those probably too frightened to even look at that man.

July 12, 2017 at 6:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Two things you shouldn't apologize for:
1. Writing whatever you want in whatever quantity you want on your very own nobody else's blog!
2. For being a superhero in that restaurant and telling that racist bigot the whats what! Im so proud of your courage! Shine your buttons, puff out your chest and go back there any time you dern please! xo Anon Suz

July 12, 2017 at 1:59 PM  
Blogger Joanne said...

You are one of my she-roes! You done good. Be safe as you protect others.

July 12, 2017 at 10:37 PM  
Blogger Radish King said...

Dear Darklings, rather than write the same thing to each of you on this post I just want to thank you all for your love and true support. Now that I feel a bit better I don't feel as bad as I did after this incident. I could have handled it better maybe but I'm glad I did it and maybe somehow someone feels better about it too especially the wait person in that restaurant. Thank you thank you thank you.
Love
Rebecca

July 15, 2017 at 9:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home