Saturday, June 24, 2017

so
is such a weak word in writing it is a clearing of the throat but I don't care if Kurt Vonnegut can do it so can I also the weak word thing is just a rule I imposed on myself for the craft of poetry which is different than regulation writing but should not be
so
my ex husband showed up this morning to fetch his son then he came in then he stayed
like
also a weak word metaphors are much stronger than similes
FOREVER
I was in the kitchen making enchiladas because it is a version of stress baking what with all the veggie prep and tortilla making and sauce cooking etc
I wonder if he thought I was going to make him lunch
he talked about his brother reminding me that his brother was his brother hello! we were married for ten years I know who your brother is
he mansplained to me about how to get the pine needles off my roof and how to clean the gutters
he talked about his now religious sister and her husband who I adored at one time back when animals could talk
then I pushed gently guided him outside where he spent over ten minutes mansplaining (again) how to care for the trees on my property good thing I didn't mention I have a septic tank or that would have been another hour of mansplaining
I was getting itchy twitchy my son was hovering waiting for me to crawl out of my skin waiting for my entire skin to shed and hit the deck in a pasty pink puddle
literally
because my son understands that I am not a social animal my son has the goods on me my son knows

then they left thank bog with five of my giant peanut butter cookies wrapped in tin foil like eight year olds going to day camp

now I am simmering sauce and trying to watch LaLa Land and truthfully I cannot get my brain inside it I just cannot I have no idea where this movie came from or why it is a representation of LA I have never been to LA though I have been in and around that area my vision of LA lies in better movies the Watts riots and Elizabeth  I would not mind taking a trip there but I won't be singing and dancing well I might dance one never knows truthfully I might even sing but not that way

today the tides are at their lowest for the year and it's going to be hot for here 80 degrees might not be hot for you but it is here it was 80 degrees yesterday too and I had all the windows in the house open and the breeze came through and I felt comfortable the entire day maybe after I cook the enchiladas I will go to the lake and swim though yesterday I stepped on the business end of an X-acto knife blade yes I stabbed myself in the foot just like in the movies except only I could get stabbed with the pointy point of an X-acto blade therefore today I'm wearing a bandaid on the bottom of my foot and a sock this is all incredibly boring

I have nothing

good morning from Summer's End where the fun never stops



*So it goes, from Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I miss Kurt. I admire your patience amid all the mansplaining. I so sympathize on the "Only I could" category. I once gave myself a black eye from the bathroom stall door at work. What a horrible, nasty thing to step on. Hope it heals quickly.
Xoxo
Barbara

June 24, 2017 at 12:45 PM  
Blogger Ms. Moon said...

That sounds like a nightmare wound, woman! Eek and uck and damn and fuck too.
One time my ex-husband came over to our house when we lived in a house with a pool to take a dip after he mowed his grass. Okay, that was funny enough. Then he said, "You got any beer and maybe some chips and salsa?"
But he's pretty funny and I didn't really mind.
So it goes.

June 24, 2017 at 1:33 PM  
Blogger 37paddington said...

Never boring, never worry about that. I hope you sole wound heals quickly and you can get back to lake swimming soon. I think your ex must have been fascinated by this violin playing freedom haired forest woman with an aura of the sea. He's trying to figure out where the woman he had in his head went not realizing she was always this woman living wild in the woods and taking care of her trees excellently all on her own. It's been thrilling to watch/ read as you make summers end your own. Love and hugs from the other coast.

June 24, 2017 at 2:55 PM  
Blogger Joanne said...

Mansplaining, what a great word and we all know what you are talking about. I'd say you are doing quite well in your own at Summers End. And yet he got those delectable peanut butter cookies. There's always love in your heart.

June 24, 2017 at 11:25 PM  
Blogger LKD said...

So, I don't use so very often, but years ago, at my place of employment, there was a woman who stuttered so constantly, so awfully (I felt bad for her..she couldn't get a single sentence without stumbling) that the only way she could begin any conversation was with the word "so." Usually, even the 's' of the "so" was also stuttered. I hadn't thought of her or how she used that word in a very long time. (When she retired, we all chipped in an bought her a lovely rocker for her front porch. She ate some retirement cake, had some of the guys load the chair into her car, and left without saying goodbye to anyone.) And, so, it goes. (I'm so in love with the teeny tiny frog you found. I've been a frog and toad girl since growing up in the wild woods of New England. Truly, your home is magical, lady.)

June 25, 2017 at 12:40 PM  
Blogger Betsy MacWhinney said...

ARRRGH. So very very weary of the mansplaining. But enchiladas sounds like good medicine.

June 27, 2017 at 9:03 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

LaLa land was silly and a tiny bit charming. I myself have never danced on top of my sexy blue Mazda.

What would we do without Vonnegut and "so?" Thank god, too, for Rebecca Solnit splaining mansplaining.

June 29, 2017 at 4:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thinking of you dear one.
Xoxo
Barbara

June 30, 2017 at 4:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

P.S.
Happy birthday month! My left handed writing is almost legible but slants in unpredictable directions. Will send written felicitations soon. Thanks for all the get well wishes. They bring delight to my day. My husband and son have been helping a lot and I'm learning patience. Much love.
Xoxo
Barbara

July 2, 2017 at 10:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home