Wednesday, June 21, 2017

I have been going fast all day

the boy arrove this morning with his gigantic truck and we moved the antique hutch from the antique store into the library at Summer's End we took out the glass that goes in the door because the hutch is ancient and oak and extremely heavy and the glass was thin I wrapped it in my polka-dot beach towel and carried it home on my lap here is Jupiter having a peek inside because she needs to know everything that happens in the house and outside she told me she approves

the hutch has a history it was built at the beginning of the 20th century at the Illinois Cabinet Company in Rockford then it was shipped to Frontier Wyoming where it lived for a long long time before making its way to Camano Island then to Summer's End there is a mirror in which the children's bookshelf and my arm and side boob is reflected in the photo up top

it is the first actual really great antique anything I have ever purchased for myself though I was given my large heavy mirror and the now disappeared piano and my tableslashdesk I am so happy to have it thrilled in fact I became Superwoman and filled the hutch with books and moved stuff around and I still have space in the hutch which is magically HUGE inside like the wardrobe in Narnia and now my library is actually beginning to look like a library even though I had to move the boxes my son secreted in there back to his room the library will be the library not a breeding ground for random boxes of blankets and car parts I told him if he doesn't have room in his actual room he is welcome to move his stuff to his father's house or the girl's house or etc I promised the library to myself it is extremely important to me and it is shaping up to be magic

after all this moving and dusting and sneezing and the delight in seeing empty space on the coffee table which is in the middle of the library (it was made by my friend Bob who also made the matching floor to ceiling bookshelf which takes up the entire north wall of the library) the boy and I went to lunch at a local Mexican place then he came back and mowed the vast lawn and now he's heading back out

here is the label on the back of the hutch which I have named Hutch the first person who can guess why I chose that name will receive a fabulous Radish King prize--a copy of Patricia Lockwood's fantastic memoir Priestdaddy this offer will disappear tomorrow morning at 9 AM


















I hope the beginning of summer is amazing for you and you and you

7 Comments:

Blogger Ms. Moon said...

You know how real things make you cry?
This.
So lovely, Rebecca. It is about time you were able to buy yourself something real and good and fine.
Way passed time.
So. Yes.

June 21, 2017 at 4:52 PM  
Blogger Radish King said...

Oh Mary thank you love. This will be passed down even further after I am gone. That makes me so damned happy to even consider. Love Rebecca

June 21, 2017 at 5:00 PM  
Blogger 37paddington said...

It's a beautiful storied piece and it has found home in your library.

June 21, 2017 at 6:20 PM  
Blogger Radish King said...

Thank you dear R. I trust your taste implicitly. I have been researching the first owner's name. Curious as to why this piece called to me. Every time I drove by the shop I told Page that I knew there was something in there that belonged to me. I love the history of wood too. I have forever since I held my first violin? Love

June 21, 2017 at 6:35 PM  
Blogger Pamela Johnson Parker said...

I am going to guess that it has something to do with Rosemary's Baby.

June 24, 2017 at 11:14 AM  
Blogger Radish King said...

Yes but I already spilled the beans. It has something specifically to do with Rosemary's Baby indeed. Thanks and hi!

June 24, 2017 at 11:21 AM  
Blogger Pamela Johnson Parker said...


Hello. I didn't read far enough up. (I still feel kind of smart). Your hutch is beautiful. They were very friendly on the price.

June 25, 2017 at 7:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home