Saturday, March 17, 2018




Depression Before Spring

The cock crows
But no queen rises.

The hair of my blonde
Is dazzling,
As the spittle of cows
Threading the wind.

Ho! Ho!

But ki-ki-ri-ki
Brings no rou-cou,
No rou-cou-cou.

But no queen comes
In slipper green.

~ Wallace Stevens

*

Dear Darklings, I am not depressed but I love that poem. I am back I will be back. The mania is passing passing though not passed. I wrote two poems this week my first in over a year not-Henry poems either though they are angry but who cannot be angry these days? And I'm dreaming again oh how I missed my dreams in spite of it all I love my brain. I have upped my Tegretol dose which makes me lazy and slow but this bout of mania held on with sharp nasty teeth. My lilacs have tight purple buds and wood violets have sprung up all over the forest floor a delicate purple carpet. It is early for me and I have been sending emails to myself to remind me what I wanted to tell you but could not. Soon. Today. I have to mop my kitchen floor first.

Love and thank you for reading here again for being patient.

ps. I really was paranoid when I wrote that I wasn't paranoid about writing about my mental illness. Thank you for not pointing it out to me. Thank you especially to my son who alerted me to my manic swing because for the first time since I was diagnosed I did not recognize it myself in time. Unfortunately it is a degenerative disease but so much magic has happened for me such beauty and natural joy.

6 Comments:

Blogger Ms. Moon said...

Why would we not be patient? You are loved. Enjoy all of the purple around you. There is quite a bit of it here, as well.

March 17, 2018 at 11:01 AM  
Blogger carolyn said...

We all love you, and are so happy to hear from you.

March 17, 2018 at 11:05 AM  
Blogger Radish King said...

Mary, thank you again for being a constant inside the awful swirl-brain.
Love.

March 17, 2018 at 1:53 PM  
Blogger Radish King said...

Carolyn, oh! Thank you thank you thank you. For reading for sticking around for your support. All of it.
xoxoxoxox

March 17, 2018 at 1:54 PM  
Blogger 37paddington said...

You have such a good son, and I am a bit in awe and admiration of your ability to stand outside yourself and see when mania is taking hold, and if not that, to hear it from your son. We are here. We will always be here, loving you in it and through it and out of it, wherever you are. Paranoia can be forgiven in these times.

March 17, 2018 at 3:26 PM  
Blogger 6279 said...

And in the circle of love Please let me also take your hand.
you are loved and your words and natural joy help me hear myself!

March 20, 2018 at 11:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home