Wednesday, September 18, 2019

Pig and farm report


Yesterday afternoon I took a break from watching the impeachment hearings shit show on CSPAN to go out in a windstorm/rainstorm and look up into the two Western Hemlocks that impossibly hold the great horned owl's nest in their delicate thatch of branches in my front yard I grabbed this screenshot from a video I tried to take that is only two seconds long because I had to stretch my head all the way back to see that far up 50? 60? 70? feet up and when I did a spider flew into my throat or perhaps my lung because I immediately began a horrendous coughing a serious gasping cough like a 98 year old three pack of day cigarette smoker with emphysema who demands to be unhooked from her oxygen tank and wheeled out on the veranda for a drag it actually doubled me over standing there in the front yard in my summer dress and winter boots 

hack hack hack hack hack hack hack hack hack hack hack hack

after that I drove to the quaintly named Gyro Stop where I stopped for a gyro and to make sure that the place still stands because I worry about the two middle eastern men who work there and because they make the best hummus I've ever tasted outside of NYC

I admit that I put my middle finger up at a woman who was aggressively driving a tiny red clown car with a you know who bumper sticker on it on the freeway in the 70 mph zone that lasts from here to Smokey Point and is terrifying as it is without some angry white republican driving 90 and zooming in and out of the lanes

I saw that the meadow here on the island where the unicorn and the tiny horse and Lumpy Cow live now holds a newborn jet black calf I apologize to Lumpy Cow for misnaming you and I want to assure you that you are now much sleeker and your baby is gorgeous and perfect

it has been autumn here with weeks of rain and cool temperatures blissfully autumn yesterday I put all my fans away in the shed and got out my gray faux fur throw for the couch yesterday I lit the fire yesterday I finally put on a sweater

reading and writing and reading and writing and reading and writing which isn't very interesting to read about for you Darklings but I like to map it when I can and when I can I have 27 poems floating around with six different publishers right now such a strange business so different than when I was a young writer with the typing and stuffing and stamping of envelopes and there being a limited number of poetry journals to which to send work now everything is mostly done through Submittable which is not only much less expensive and time consuming but if you desire you can watch the portal as your poems are rejected one by one in real time showing up politely as declined then you can cry or throw dishes or drink or just move on poetry business sucks but writing the art impulse when it is good is very very good is superb

Hal put himself in the hall closet this morning (he might have been spying on me) and when I walked by to get coffee I shut the door on him halfway out or halfway in sorry kitty he doesn't seem injured at all not in the least because I am not a door slammer never have been

I might have had something important to writer here but I'm listening to the Paul McCartney album McCartney that came out after the Beatles and before Wings and dancing around and reveling in simple happiness in true joy

Jupiter has confiscated my new office chair here she is telling me that I have to fill out a requisition form before I can use it bless her heart


I'm heading for the kitchen now to make eleven bean (cleaned out the pantry!) all day chili so I can use the half red bell pepper and celery and onion that lurk in my refrigerator 

that would be something
really would be something
that would be something
to meet you in the fallin' rain mama
to meet you in the fallin' rain 


10 Comments:

Blogger Ms. Moon said...

Ram on, baby. Ram on.
I do love that album. And you. I love you.

September 18, 2019 at 11:17 AM  
Blogger Radish King said...

I hadn’t listened to it in years but all the words to all the songs are as powerfully seated in my lizard brain as the church hymns with which I was indoctrinated as a child. Yum!

September 18, 2019 at 12:01 PM  
Blogger Ms. Moon said...

I have a very, very intense and emotional tie to that album and it's a good one. Maybe Paul wrote our Doxology. McCartney. Not the pretender who got struck on the road to Damascus by one of god's henchmen.

September 18, 2019 at 4:46 PM  
Blogger Radish King said...

YES! I was with my darling uncle in NYC the summer that album dropped.
XO

September 18, 2019 at 5:49 PM  
Blogger 37paddington said...

God I love this post. You sound in a good place my poet friend. This makes me happy.

September 20, 2019 at 5:54 AM  
Blogger 37paddington said...

But sorry about the fly in your throat. And the impeachment mess. May the gyro spot men be safe.

September 20, 2019 at 5:56 AM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

The word "delightful" comes to mind. I am happy to read this post and hope you are still dancing and singing as I type this.

September 23, 2019 at 11:25 PM  
Blogger Radish King said...

Dearest R, I can see the worry in the gyro men in their eyes and the fact that their business never seems to thrive. Love you.

September 24, 2019 at 9:41 AM  
Blogger Radish King said...

Elizabeth thank you. I am still dancing. And I’m still listening to the same compact disc. Ha. Apparently no one listens to cds anymore. I don’t care I still have my vinyl records. Well they’re pretend my son’s records now. I am not a VSCO girl a term I learned only yesterday. Love you.

September 24, 2019 at 9:44 AM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

I love the Submittable, but miss the envelopes and buying cool/unusual stamps so I'd get noticed, which actually worked, once. You sound so good here. I'm glad. We have no fall. It's still in the upper 90's on Sept. 27th, with no end in sight.

September 27, 2019 at 11:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home