Wednesday, May 20, 2020

Pig and farm report

I had one day of depression that felt thick with teeth then the next day it was gone a new neuro mutation probably but I’m not going to look a gift cow in the mouth though I got close

gift cow


the last time I ordered groceries through instacart the man who shopped for me tossed my groceries up the stairs onto the deck and he yelled at me through the window that a bottle was broken then left in fact the lid had come off my fragrance free laundry detergent and the detergent leaked all over the rest of my food ruining some greens and my hotdog buns (I have spicy field hotdogs in the freezer) and there is no recourse no way to get through by phone to complain I ordered through instacart yet again yesterday this time getting a really good shopper who scored me the last block of tofu in the store why is the tofu gone everywhere who the hell is buying all the tofu and why

I have been struggling with not being able to concentrate enough to read and so I decided to go through the children’s library here at Summer’s End to try and jumpstart my brain I began with Peter Pan and I’m almost finished which feels hopeful this little book from Laughing Elephant in Seattle is so pretty



there are two peppermint geraniums behind that last picture that I grew from tiny starts their roots were busting out of the small plastic pots I started them in and it was right now time to move them into their adult pots but I had run out of terra-cotta pots couldn’t find any decent ones not even online so I called the Country Store that blessed place that smells like my grandpa’s barn so I prepaid over the phone drove to town and they loaded four pots and underdishes right into my trunk easy peasy the guy who carried out the pots wore a mask and gloves and looked surprised when I tipped him by sticking the bill through a crack in my window so I got to make a mess in the clean dirt on my deck

my grandpa’s barn I’m on the far left my grandpa’s in the hat O Idaho



on one of my daily random drives around the island I not only collected three dozen gorgeous blue green and brown eggs from Jack the Egg Man (I am constantly stunned by the color of road eggs from happy yard chickens) I pulled over at Utsalady Bay and watched this eagle on a telephone pole enjoying breakfast for fifteen minutes when he was finished pulling the guts out of whatever beast he caught he shot out a powerful stream of shit that could have taken my eye out maybe both eyes had I been on the wrong side of him it was An Amazing Thing

Utsalady eagle


my eight tomato plants have flowers the sugar snap peas are sending out their delicate tendrils the strawberries and blueberries are thriving I am not depressed today at least not so far and I have tofu

yay

4 Comments:

Blogger Ms. Moon said...

I had that quick bout of anxiety too out of nowhere but it flew away overnight although now, having just gotten off the televisit with my GYN I am filled with it again. Just talking about medical things makes me crazy and I feel like crying and I have no idea why. He was nice as could be and didn't ask to see my breasts once. Or cervix. I wish I knew why I have this horrible medical fear. BUT, at least I know where this particular anxiety came from and it will wear off. Too bad we can't just shit these depression-anxiety twins like the eagle with the guts.
Your grandpa was a tall man and a cowboy hat looked just right on him.
My chickens are already flapping up to eat my green blueberries. They can fly when they want to.

May 20, 2020 at 9:08 AM  
Blogger Radish King said...

Mary I would rather see a physician over Skype but I don’t trust the medical establishment not one bit nor have they ever done anything to help this. Glad you’re feeling better! I would love to have chickens but I couldn’t bear to have one eaten by critters either ground or sky. I know I’d become way too attached.

May 20, 2020 at 10:03 AM  
Blogger 37paddington said...

I should try reading children's books too, as I have zero concentration for reading right now. How could that be? Glad your neuro dip lasted only a day. Sky and sea and woods probably help. Hugs.

May 22, 2020 at 11:06 AM  
Blogger Radish King said...

Dear R, Pan brought me out of my non reading funk. As soon as I step outside into my woods I feel better. Every single time. So grateful for the green and blue of the natural world.
XO

May 25, 2020 at 8:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home