Tuesday, May 26, 2020

Pig and farm report



I stared too long at this owl this morning to click the camera on my phone my heart was beating hard I was both worshipping him and terrified that he was going to fly into my face I was that close he swiveled his head to stare straight at me right around the corner from my house at the North|South sign which is every bit as confusing as you might think

when I got home I watered my plants and put my first ever cashmere sweaters in the giant plastic bag our CSA box produce arrives in and stored them in my cedar chest then I took the lid off my 31 year old terrarium and cleaned the sides with a damp cloth and a pair of chopsticks I do this once every year or so this thing has been part of my life for so long raining growing changing a complete living world that holds a tiny stone frog and the filling from my tooth that broke right before I flew to Chicago to work at the Intuit and sea glass and who knows what else I have tucked in there over the years it’s a time capsule and a biosphere and it feels like a beloved family pet I have two other terrariums growing smaller in less tightly sealed jars but healthy nonetheless and endlessly fascinating to me

I made enchiladas tonight and put them in the fridge to bake tomorrow for my son who is going out into the actual world fully masked and gloved my goddamn rake broke and I have to keep the trails here passable or I’ll tip over so he’s going to the country store to replace it and of course I have a list of other things I need a strange and mystical quest for my princling son

,




writing it out here does not sound like I did much today but I’m exhausted from it


10 Comments:

Blogger Ms. Moon said...

Being face to face with a predator bird is something our DNA still regards as a bit frightening. And yet, we are awestruck at the same time. It is not a daily experience for most of us. I have no doubt you are exhausted.

May 26, 2020 at 6:09 PM  
Blogger Radish King said...

Mary I’m exhausted every single day now just trying to keep my head together in this weird time. Hello!

May 27, 2020 at 6:10 AM  
Blogger Ramona Quimby said...

I was attacked by an owl earlier this year--running near dusk in my very urban neighborhood, a barred owl swooped down and lightly razored my head, lit upon a power line, and then we watched each other a bit. When I started running again, she followed and swooped my head again before disappearing into the trees. My head was a little bloody, but it felt like a blessing instead of a curse. At least, a harbinger of how strange this year was going to be.

May 27, 2020 at 10:46 AM  
Blogger Radish King said...

You’re right on all counts. She was definitely bringing you something, something holy.

May 27, 2020 at 12:34 PM  
Blogger Linda Sue said...

Because their enormous/deep eyes see through you and beyond you for one million lifetimes-the ability to turn their heads all the way around without moving any other part, otherworldly. Their prowess- respect! Owls are amazing freaks -Lucky you. A 30 year old terrarium must be a record ! I had one for about three days years ago.I suck.

May 27, 2020 at 7:49 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Everything is exhausting these days. That owl pic is stunning. I've had a life-long thing with owls but finally got to see one when Carl brought me to the Huntington Beach Library. He pointed up and there they were: three owls. It was the clincher.

May 27, 2020 at 8:24 PM  
Blogger 37paddington said...

My exhaustion lives in solidarity with yours. I think of you all the time out on that island. I want you to be okay always. I don't think I'm making much sense.

May 28, 2020 at 4:17 PM  
Blogger Radish King said...

Linda Sue, owls are amazing freaks. There is an owl’s nest in a western hemlock in my front yard which is mostly forest. It’s huge. I find owl pellets all the time they themselves are mysterious and amazing.

May 29, 2020 at 11:20 AM  
Blogger Radish King said...

Elizabeth they are stunning beasts, those birders. So are the owls. Love and solidarity.

May 29, 2020 at 11:21 AM  
Blogger Radish King said...

Rosemarie you make more sense than anyone I know. I am okay maybe my best self now in the face of revolution. Love to you and your family. Be safe darling. What a world.

May 29, 2020 at 11:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home