Monday, September 13, 2021

Pig and farm report

 


My son sent me that photo yesterday of Chesaw in the fertile Okanogan Vally. He pulled over in his truck to watch a fire burning. I’m making a huge batch of cheese and onion and green pepper enchiladas and another batch without cheese for those vegans who might be here to freeze because I’m expecting to feed a houseful of people sometime here in the near future and I don’t want to be caught off guard. Chopping onions and stirring a roux and unsuccessfully fighting back a ripe and pungent panic. Here is a reprint of my enchilada recipe except because the garden is still overflowing I’m using fresh peppers. The thought of the giant surfer children gathering here breaks my bombed out heart wide open. Hello Darklings. The day is bright and beautiful but everything in the vast underneath is burning.


ps. In case anyone wants it and because I am always curious about recipes here is my easypeasy recipe for cheese enchiladas

Cheese Enchiladas a la Loudon
or, as we call it, dinner


THE ROUX

Heat 1 tablespoon of butter in a heavy bottomed sauce pan
Add 1 tablespoon of all-purpose flour
This will become your roux the base for some of the world’s best sauces
Stir your roux constantly until it is light brown and has a nutty flavor it's a good idea to taste it to make sure the flour taste is cooked out but don't burn your tongue on it
While you are stirring sing this song repeatedly since it only has one verse and no chorus:

I want to make a roux for you
I want to make a roux for you
I want to make a roux for you
Now shut up and kiss me 


© Rebecca Loudon, 2005

THE SAUCE

Once your roux is cooked and you have sung the song several times
Add 1 large (28 ounce) can of red enchilada sauce any brand you want
This part is kind of cheaty but sometimes cheaty is ok and besides the roux absorbs the acky canned sauce taste
Add 2 cups of veggie broth
Toss in some salt to taste
Toss in some pepper to taste
Add 2 tablespoons of chopped cilantro unless you think cilantro tastes like soap

Bring your sauce to a boil
Reduce the heat and simmer for 30 to 45 minutes until it gets thick

THE FILLING

Chop up a giant onion and sauté it in a skillet
Add a couple of those little cans of diced green chilies again this is cheaty but so what
Set the onions aside so they cool a bit
Shred up a ton of cheese
I like mozzarella or jack but sharp cheddar is good too

THE TORTILLAS

10 to 14 white corn tortillas
A blob of canola oil
Heat the canola oil in a small skillet over medium heat
Fry the tortillas until they soft NOT crisp about 30 seconds per side
Remove to a paper towel lined plate

ASSEMBLAGE

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

The rest of it is pretty obvious but here goes
Pour ½ cup of the sauce in bottom of baking pan
Spread it out so your enchiladas don’t stick this works for lasagna too
Dip each tortilla into the sauce quickly (or they’ll fall apart) then remove to a work surface which for me is usually the pan I’m cooking the enchiladas in but if you have a marble counter by all means use it this part is messy
Spoon some cheese and some of the onion/chili mixture into the center of the tortilla saving some cheese to top the enchiladas at the end
Place it seam down in the baking pan
Repeat until your pan is full
Pour the remaining sauce over the enchiladas
Top with the rest of the cheese

Bake in a 350° oven for 20 minutes or until the cheese is bubbly or for an hour and a half if your oven is on the fritz and unreliable like mine
Sprinkle some more cilantro over the enchiladas before serving unless you think it tastes like soap


You can also add green onions and olives to the inside of the enchiladas if you want but it’s wrong
You CANNOT add meat to this recipe because I said so

Serve with a buttload of sour cream and some chacha salsa

Bon Appétit!

6 Comments:

Blogger Rebecca said...

Well, it's time for breakfast and I wasn't feeling it, but now I'm hungry. My stomach just made a bear sound from a long distance off. Good morning dear, drear Rebecca. Each time you break open today, great gobs of yellow will fly out and bathe your house and all those in it molten and goodness.

September 14, 2021 at 5:31 AM  
Blogger Ms. Moon said...

I promise never to eat meat in those. Ever, ever, never.
Thank you. Lovely recipe.
A friend who popped by yesterday was on her way to deliver a pan of poblano and spinach enchiladas to a friend. The friend had been struck by lightening. In her house. But I think she's okay.
Now I can't stop thinking about enchiladas.

September 14, 2021 at 6:49 AM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

I can't stop thinking about enchiladas either.

September 15, 2021 at 11:08 PM  
Blogger 37paddington said...

You and Mary and Elizabeth make me wish I loved to cook more. You are such artists at it, each in your own way.

September 22, 2021 at 6:42 AM  
Blogger carolyn said...

Where are you, my dear? I love hearing and thinking about you on your island. I lived in Edmonds, near the ferry dock for several years and miss it so much. I hope you are well and I love you.

October 26, 2021 at 5:34 PM  
Anonymous Jeannine H Gailey said...

Happy Halloween, and thanks for the recipe! I bought a load of hatch chiles at the farmers market and I have so many gourds, squashes, and pumpkins that I have to use up so I am making tamales full of pumpkin and cheese and hatch chilies but I am happy to think of you and your enchiladas!

October 31, 2021 at 4:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home