Saturday, May 2, 2020

Pig and farm report

I should have written this morning when my writer brain was still functional instead I stood outside on the deck in my jammies in the rain watching two deer who think they own the place it was so incredibly green and smelled so fragrant I should have written this morning when my writer brain was still functional instead I stood in the rain stunned by the green of it all then I drove around the island checked out the state park that is practically in my backyard the state park that will open Tuesday and I fretted over the opening of the gates and the fact that all the people from the city in their brand new gigantic trucks pulling their brand new gigantic boats will crowd in on that terrifying narrow one way road that drops off into Possession Sound and they will befoul my beloved rocky beach with their garbage and gasoline and noise and maskless faces at least for a few days scaring the deer and foxes and cougars and bears that live here and the Orca whales that migrate to the Saratoga Passage this time of year then in ten days they will all get sick and our governor will reconsider kissing the amerikkkan president’s ring in fealty in order to get PPE and ventilators and everything else we’re going to need for opening the gates too soon just like Germany who opened in April and ten days later their numbers shot up and we still don’t have testing widely available thinking about these things this morning gave me a woofy gut so I came home and made soup simple just leftovers from last week’s CSA box carrots celery onion chard lentils and organic broth

this is what my backyard looked like this morning the green that held me


I stole these lilacs because mine aren’t ready I am a lifelong lilac theif but only if they are growing out into the road and I’m careful about which branches I take understanding lilacs as I do I also stole the rosemary in the jar next to the lilacs it seemed like the right thing to do



last summer I had a glut of strawberries and I kept making small batches of pectin free jam and freezing it which seemed a wee bit excessive at the time (it was a very glutty glut) but now just a spoonful of that jam tastes like the very best day of every summer I’ve ever lived through don’t they look like rubies gleaming



I wish I had written to you when my writer brain was still functional before I stepped outside and was stunned by the astounding earth

4 Comments:

Blogger 37paddington said...

Your writer brain functioned magnificently and took me on a journey. I’m right there with you. That green is astonishing and that ruby red jam with no pectin looks like heaven might taste.

May 2, 2020 at 7:20 PM  
Blogger Radish King said...

Dearest R the difference in taste between pectin and no pectin jam is amazing. I couldn’t believe how green it was this morning no filters on that pic even the deers curled up on the grass and slept. I am so lucky to be here. ♥️

May 2, 2020 at 7:33 PM  
Blogger Ramona Quimby said...

I miss the forest and the ocean so fiercely right now. Trying to stay content with city warblers and coyotes and wandering cats and the chickens who also wander.

May 2, 2020 at 8:17 PM  
Blogger Ms. Moon said...

Once a long time ago Publix started selling a frozen strawberry jam and then they discontinued it and I bought it and bought it and bought it and we ate every last ruby drop of it. As wonderful as it was, I'm sure it wasn't as good as yours.
Your green is not the same as our green but they are both beautiful and sometimes I can't believe I get to live on this green planet.
I am afraid you are right about opening the parks. I'm sorry.

May 3, 2020 at 7:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home