Wednesday, July 29, 2020

Pig and farm report



that up there is ginger growing in a clay pot on my desk

I admit that I made my go to cake an angel food cake yesterday then had one piece and it was so unlike a carrot cake that I threw the rest in the bin full of snot and longing I stood outside this morning among the tomato vines inhaling to fix my heart and it may have worked tomato vines growing in the sun is a fragrance right up there with new babies and milky puppies and low tide mixed with campfire smoke and the forest floor after a rain and the first handful of lilacs in spring that signal joy directly to my brain I soaked a ginger knob overnight in water to remove any growth inhibitors that might have been on it and threw it in a pot with some soil and watered it when I remembered I was surprised to see it grow so violently after a long time of dormancy my son brought me dahlias this morning and a black moleskine notebook and now he is out getting us dinner to go at a Mexican restaurant the next town over I had a burrito at Taco del Mar a couple weeks ago or months ago but other than that I have cooked every meal I’ve eaten for five months and I am heady at the thought of eating a meal someone else has cooked this morning Hal threw himself at my bedroom window and howled his first ever feral kitten war cry at an outside grey interloper cat who was standing looking stunned by Hal’s ferociousness I was stunned too and after I rewarded him with catnip and praise and sang songs and hymns to his wild instincts who knew such a big sound could come out of such a small body it even brought my son barreling from a deep sleep in his room asking WHAT HAPPENED such excellent excitement for a July morning for a July girl filled with longing

that down there is what happened to a tiny fern that I planted in a Weck pickle jar three years ago my first summer here the fern has exploded upward and it’s raining in the terrarium and all is well here at the Zero Hour Bar and Grill at the end of the world


7 Comments:

Blogger Linda Sue said...

i would like to sidle on up to that bar and gill and order a Weck pickle jar full of fern. Your son ,fabulous young man, so thoughtful he must be psychic. Lovely lad. Your words are so delicious I need not make any dinner tonight. Just dip into your scrumptious language , big scoops!! love

July 29, 2020 at 3:57 PM  
Blogger Radish King said...

I ate enough dinner for maybe six of me. Oh lord. Moaning and groaning away from the table in my sweat pants *and* after I ordered a carrot cake from Kroger on instacart because I have not a whiff of couth and this proves it. Store bought cake is so entirely gross. I don’t care. It probably won’t even be carrot once it arrives if it ever arrives. All bets are off when it comes to instacart alas.

July 29, 2020 at 4:29 PM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

is it too awful that i thought the photo was a grave site?

July 30, 2020 at 7:33 PM  
Blogger Radish King said...

I suppose it is for the original piece of ginger in which case it should give you hope.

July 30, 2020 at 7:35 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Happy 67th dear poet! Fierce Hal made me smile. May all continue to be well. Much love.
Xoxo
Barbara

July 31, 2020 at 8:04 PM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

I just got a Misfit Box with the single largest fan/hand of ginger I've ever seen. Don't know what we'll do with it.

August 1, 2020 at 7:14 PM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

I just got a Misfit Box with the single largest fan/hand of ginger I've ever seen. Don't know what we'll do with it.

August 1, 2020 at 7:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home