Sunday, January 1, 2017

I made a potato and scallion frittata this morning and then my son came home (safely thank the Animal Gods do we ever stop worrying ever ever?) and we sat in the kitchen at the table (I still cannot get over The Table the fact of it the solidity of it the normal of it) and drank coffee and watched dawn arrive through the giant trees and the snow falling

did I tell you I have a washing machine and dryer now? after 20 years of laundr-0-mats I love their sound their smell I bought non-allergic detergent after 20 years of my son insisting we use Tide which gives me rashes though I begged him to not to stop then gave up

a kitchen table an old pale blue tablecloth strong coffee my child clean clothes and no more worrying about that old stupid house and it's so funny to walk through this house and not hear creaks and squeaks and the floors groaning with damp and not have to wonder when I will fall through and just walking around I cover 5 miles a day at least

I have cable now too because it's the only way to watch television out here I had cable once before in 1989 one free month of it that was the first television I ever owned yesterday I watched Portlandia all day I barely moved I was so exhausted from that last week push to get here today I'm reading the newspaper and testing myself to see if I am indeed still human



Nature, nature, I am your bride. Take me.
~~Virginia Woolf, Orlando

7 Comments:

Blogger 37paddington said...

reading this makes me so happy.

January 1, 2017 at 9:12 AM  
Blogger Radish King said...

It makes me happy that you still read here dear R. We are survivors you and I. We will stand and be brave on this shifting earth but we won't be alone.
Love
Rebecca

January 1, 2017 at 9:19 AM  
Anonymous Ashley WGAS said...

You are going to experience such abundant joy and delight in your new digs, I feel it in my very bones. Happy New Year!

January 1, 2017 at 11:19 AM  
Blogger liv said...

Pale blue table clothes are a sign of home for me and for you, obviously. And I can almost feel your delight looking at that washer and dryer. It's lovely vision of you, you're really home - spirits blessings.

January 1, 2017 at 1:19 PM  
Blogger Joanne said...

Happy New Year dear Rebecca! Welcome home❌⭕

January 1, 2017 at 2:40 PM  
Blogger Ms. Moon said...

My heart. My heart!

January 1, 2017 at 3:53 PM  
Blogger N2 said...

So very glad that you are in this much, much better place. Wishing you a wonder full 2017 in your new home. x0 N2

January 1, 2017 at 9:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home