Sunday, August 27, 2017

plunge


for the past few days I've been thinking about opening my blog again but I continued  to resist because I feel so peaceful (mostly in truth I feel peaceful as long as I don't consider the current state of politics which is impossible to ignore) I feel guilt for my happiness I am not sure I know how to own happiness or if I will ever truly own it or accept it into my heart like Jesus I don't even know if I'm still a writer I have finished Queer Wing-ed but I have zero desire to see it published right now though I printed it all up and stuck it in one of my bathroom drawers which Jupiter opens every few days as if to remind me I am waiting for that desire to find me inside my routine of waking reading drinking coffee reading working in the kitchen garden reading swimming in the lake reading going to the beach cooking reading canning practicing Bach on the deck reading these summer things that always fill me with such easy joy I have become so simple in my happiness in my pursuit of happiness that I think my writing here might turn out to be stale or silly or plain or boring but I feel autumn at night now around 7 pm cool breezes come in my bedroom window bracing even on hot days and the garden is crazy fecund giving me cucumbers and tomatoes and zucchini and tiny gnarled fingerling potatoes and radishes and my herb garden is giving up my wild strawberries too have finished and this morning I washed my quilts because I am preparing inside I have a pantry full of canned cherries and salsa verde and dilly beans and sweet pickles and blackberry jam and yesterday I made vegetable soup but I want to put the canner away now I am ready to paint the house's guts to curl up in front of the fire to prepare for my trip to NY in October to learn easy to learn content to banish worry

I have serious flirtations going on with at least three men on the island there are so many men my age who are interested in relationships who knew?! but I feel unloveable still and inside of that I believe that I have to isolate myself from humans even more fiercely as my mental illness progresses and makes me unpredictable which is a kind way to put it

I made salsa verde with tomatillos which I grew and I put the tomatillos and garlic and onion and cilantro and one serrano pepper in my fancyassed blender and the blender wouldn't turn on so I carried it to all the outlets in my kitchen testing then I tested those outlets with another appliance and all the outlets were working so I fretted over having to call Vitamix and complain and I ended up putting the salsa in small batches in my tiny cup-sized Cuisinart (I have never used an adult Cuisinart) and made it in batches then after I was done with all that I called my son who actually uses the blender frequently and asked him if he broke it and he reminded me that there is an on/off switch on the side of the blender...remember two summers ago when I was sewing a dress and I couldn't figure out how to get Alice's sewing machine to work and I had to call her on Labor Day and ask and she told me did you plug it in? yes
like that

it smells like the beets are done roasting I'm making them for lunch with whipped goat cheese a recipe I read in the NY Times a few days ago

hello Darklings
I've missed you
love from Summer's End



29 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've missed you tremendously. Your writing could never be stale. Glad you have found happiness on your island. I love how vividly you bring the images to my mind. Much love.
Xoxo
Barbara

August 27, 2017 at 12:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've missed you tremendously and am glad you've found happiness and flirtationns on your island. Your writing is never stale. Much love.
Xoco
Barbara

August 27, 2017 at 12:21 PM  
Blogger Radish King said...

I have been thinking of you all morning as the gorgeous blue tea towel festooned with birds is spread out on my counter. Welcome back my friend. I owe you mail.
Love

August 27, 2017 at 12:24 PM  
Blogger 37paddington said...

darling rebecca, you could not be boring if you tried so put that worry out of your head. i am so happy you are happy, you have no idea how it makes me smile. i have missed you so.

August 27, 2017 at 2:02 PM  
Blogger Janet said...

Hello. So happy to hear you're happy. Simply happy.

August 27, 2017 at 3:41 PM  
Blogger Radish King said...

Dearest R, thank you my friend for sticking around for the next chapter whatever that may be.
Love
Rebecca

August 27, 2017 at 4:59 PM  
Blogger Radish King said...

Hi Janet! Thank you for your emails checking in.
Rebecca

August 27, 2017 at 5:00 PM  
Blogger Ramona Quimby said...

I am glad you are happy and i am glad to read you again and I am glad you ARE

August 27, 2017 at 6:02 PM  
Blogger Joanne said...

I am so glad to end a post from you! Boring? You? Even on your worst day I cannot imagine you being boring. I am so happy for your happiness. It's made my day❤️

August 27, 2017 at 6:07 PM  
Blogger Radish King said...

Ramona, I am so glad you followed me back down the rabbit hole. Thank you for making the world less lonely.
Rebecca

August 27, 2017 at 7:22 PM  
Blogger Radish King said...

Joanne you a such a deserving friend. Thank you for sticking it out with me. Love to you and Ollie 🐱

August 27, 2017 at 7:24 PM  
Blogger Pam said...

I've missed you. Thank you for coming back.

August 27, 2017 at 7:49 PM  
Blogger Elle Clancy said...

I echo everyone above...I have missed your writing and our peak into your beautiful world.

August 28, 2017 at 5:57 AM  
Blogger Saranne said...

So very glad to see you back - missed you! ox

August 28, 2017 at 11:26 AM  
Blogger Ms. Moon said...

Your writing is always as fresh as that salsa you made. Trust me.
Oh- how to own happiness. It is a life mission, that one.
I want to hear more about the fellas. Is that wrong of me?
I love you, Rebecca. I am proud of you in every way.

August 28, 2017 at 12:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so glad you are back! You could never, never be boring any more than salsa could be ketchup. You just aren't. I am enjoying the knowledge that you are happy. Perhaps even healing? Flirtations and fellas are grand.

-invisigal

August 28, 2017 at 3:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My son loves Bach too:

https://youtu.be/o3TzW9yz8y4

-invisigal

August 28, 2017 at 4:04 PM  
Blogger margaret said...

I thank the animal gods for returning you to us faithful readers. Can I imagine you not writing and me not reading your life saving posts...nope.

August 30, 2017 at 8:19 PM  
Blogger Elsewhere said...

I'm just happy you ARE.
When you're happy, even better.

August 31, 2017 at 12:49 AM  
Blogger Supervillainess said...

I am thinking of often and giving you lots of thoughts for your health while I am muddling through some health stuff myself and was so glad to read about your happy.

August 31, 2017 at 10:44 AM  
Blogger Radish King said...

Pam, thank you for finding me again!!!

September 1, 2017 at 8:35 AM  
Blogger Radish King said...

Dear Elle, hello! All our bunnies have turned brown for the winter. I feed them my carrot greens and they are happy enough to stay out of my radish patch. Thank you for all your kindnesses.

September 1, 2017 at 8:36 AM  
Blogger Radish King said...

Saranne, thank you!

September 1, 2017 at 8:36 AM  
Blogger Radish King said...

Mary, ha! But I tend to stay on the down low with these mens situations. Except for the baker. Who I saw yesterday in fact.
xo

September 1, 2017 at 8:37 AM  
Blogger Radish King said...

Elsewhere, thank you! I am still trying on happy like a shiny new pair of Easter shoes.

September 1, 2017 at 8:38 AM  
Blogger Radish King said...

Margaret, ahhhh my island sister. I will never lose you.
xo

September 1, 2017 at 8:38 AM  
Blogger Radish King said...

J9 I think of you every day every day every day. This is the time of year where normally I'd be starting rehearsals. That inner timing is so deeply a part of my being that I still look at my calendar to scope out Tuesday nights even though I have no social life to speak of. xo

September 1, 2017 at 8:40 AM  
Blogger Radish King said...

invisigal, is that your son playing??? Beautiful. Oh Bach. Oh forever.

September 1, 2017 at 8:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes Rebecca, that is my dear one and only. I miss the pretty sounds he used to make in my world now that he has nested in Manhattan. Souls like yours and his bring so much joy to the world with just your hands!

I am so glad you are back.

-invisigal

September 1, 2017 at 11:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home