Monday, August 27, 2018

Pig and farm report

I am rewarding myself a bit of time here to say hello after a hard morning of killing my darlings to misquote Faulkner I have cleaned up my mss and cut the first section from 38 to 33 pages and every one of those pages (I first typed plagues!) contained writing that I love but I am now asking does it move my thesis forward does it move the story in any direction and is it necessary

I have changed my deadline to get it to my editor the first of September instead of the middle to the end of September

all that's left now really are the front and back

I'm pretty much done

it is clean autumn here on the island now that the smoke has cleared literal smoke from Canada and Oregon and California the air quality has been so poor that I haven't hazarded outside and have been coughing and feeling stopped and ragged in the mornings I work then I go to the beach then I read I cleaned my garden of tomatoes last week and they're still coming yesterday I stopped to pick up some road eggs at my favorite road egg spot and met the man who owns those chickens his name is Jack and not only did I take all three cartons of eggs and a bucket of plums I got to meet his goat Fred and his five sheep one named Dorothy I fed them bits of torn up hot dog buns Jack said do you mind a little bit of goat spit on your hands I told him absolutely not my heart banged in my chest to meet these beige beauties I have admired his Animal Gods from afar and he was pleased to hear it I got a tour around his property right and good as he looked at my legs in my turquoise dress and talked and talked and talked Jack is an elder hippie as I am a collector of wagon wheels and old teapots out of which he makes art he also has an orchard and a huge garden before I left he ran in his house then ran out again and gave me his phone number on a piece of paper and told me to call him if I ever want eggs

which I just might do

here is what my garden gave me  this week
























here is the blackberry star pie I baked a couple days ago






















and here is Prince Hal after I returned from the pot store he was quite excited
























that's it for now Darklings I have a frittata cooling on the counter and then I'm going to mop the kitchen

thank you for your patience while we are undergoing construction






Love,
Rebecca

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Prince Hal! He has a beautiful pattern and reminds me of my beloved Freeway. That's one scrumptious looking pie. How much lighter you must feel being done. Hope to hear more of Jack. Much love and congratulations!
Xoxo
Barbara

August 27, 2018 at 5:50 PM  
Blogger 37paddington said...

It makes me happy to know someone is out there killing darlings with me! I love them so but they stick out like preening prims donnas all those violins too and so they have to go. I’m glad you stopped in. Your garden is bounteous.

August 27, 2018 at 7:02 PM  
Blogger Ms. Moon said...

The goodness here knocks me out. Make more frittatas so that you will need more eggs.

August 27, 2018 at 7:29 PM  
Blogger Ramona Quimby said...

Ah! I love this so. It is so wonderful to breathe again, see the sky in Portland. I am envious of your island, though--autumn already and trees and animal gods and gardens and the egg man.

August 27, 2018 at 8:13 PM  
Blogger Radish King said...

Barbara that pie was amazing. Isn’t Prince Hal beautiful? Also completely insane. I feel lighter and tremendously excited. Love
Rebecca

August 28, 2018 at 11:14 AM  
Blogger Radish King said...

Dear R it’s freeing once we let the go isn’t it and hard as hell. I had to give myself some real distance before this last paring. My garden sustains and amazes me every day. I am so thankful. Love
Rebecca

August 28, 2018 at 11:16 AM  
Blogger Radish King said...

Mary Moon you made me snort! Good idea though that frittata was bright yellow with zucchini and young onions and tomatoes right out of the ground. Love
Rebecca



August 28, 2018 at 11:18 AM  
Blogger Radish King said...

Dear RQ Oh god yes to finally seeing the sky next not to mention the water! The Egg Man.

Coo coo cachoo!
Love
Rebecca

August 28, 2018 at 11:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home