Saturday, September 22, 2018

Pig and farm report Equinox


yesterday morning I stood out in the front yard looking at St. Francis who moved himself from the deck to a new spot where he can watch the rest of the Animal Gods who visit Summer's End and the owl in the photo above flew right over my head toward the roof and my heart was still busting right out of its red cage when it flew back over my head and landed in that tree where it watched me for a good five minutes this is not to say that St. Francis moved himself my son did that also this is a True Visitation and a harbinger of autumn which has been here on the island for at least two weeks

this week I planted 120 tulip bulbs in two of my raised garden beds I am still picking tomatoes and I am not yet sick of the fruit itself every morning I eat an apple or two from the boxes in the pantry which makes me think of David Foster Wallace's mother who described apples as the broom of the system 

I am writing this morning because I am in the middle of a wind storm with rain and oddly warm temperatures and my power has been flickering on and off all night and right now I have it I'm warming up soup and have the fire going I am used to this dance it's almost always because of trees whose root balls have dried during the summer who decide to topple onto power lines

I'm growing out my bangs which is not news but is a pain I am only growing them out because I can't afford a haircut quite yet because October is the month I pay taxes on the house this morning I put hair spray on them to keep them out of my left eye which has PINK EYE from allergies don't panic it isn't the catchy kind and I promise you won't get it from me but it makes me feel hideous and craven and I have taken to wearing my sunglasses when I go shopping which ends with me putting unknown items in my shopping cart because the prescription on the lenses needs to be stronger I also found a ribbon in my junk drawer and have tied it into my unruly hair and it made me remember how much I love ribbons I always have and it made me remember one of my last days at My Ex Glamorous Job when my work wife Tina-bo-dina asked me to put her hair in a tie and I did it too loosely and she said you can tell you never had a daughter which inexplicably or perhaps explicably made me feel intensely sad

I have wisely given up the weird joy of having everything in the house brand brand new as the feral kittens pay no attention to my efforts to get them to stop running over everything including the soft gray sofa the kitchen table and my head

this might be the most boringest blog post ever but all is right in my world

Barbara I owe you mail thank you for all the Animal Gods you have sent

Dear Darklings I hope you are feeling joy this autumn first it is a day of known magik

go outside

Love

6 Comments:

Blogger Ms. Moon said...

You know, I literally remember a specific ribbon I had in high school. Actually, I think I may have gotten a length of it when I was in sixth grade and used pieces of it forever. It was dark, dark blue velvet and I can feel how it felt in my fingers as I tied it right now.
And don't be sad about not having a daughter. Who knows? A granddaughter may come your way one day and you can tie ribbons in her hair. Mostly what I remember about putting my daughters' hair up in ties was that they always yelled at me for doing it TOO TIGHT!
You are amazing, planting all of those bulbs. I am glad you have an animal god owl to watch over you. I always feel blessed when I hear them in my trees, calling out to each other like hooting chimps for love. It is magical and mystical and also a little bit scary and funny. It is REAL! And it is loud.

September 22, 2018 at 9:59 AM  
Blogger Radish King said...

Those owls are so noisy especially at dawn but awesome noisy their calls echo over and through the forest canopy and it is a spectacular call. I regard them with reverence. The coyoyon the other had give me cold chills. I save every single ribbon that comes my way. If anything they make good emergency kitty toys. XO

September 22, 2018 at 10:16 AM  
Blogger Ms. Moon said...

I always look for ribbon at thrift stores and sometimes I do find it. And my friend Lis makes art of antique ribbon. There is something very, very special about it.

September 22, 2018 at 4:44 PM  
Blogger 37paddington said...

I wore ribbons as a little girl, one on each braid, and I wonder sometimes when they fell out of favor in my slice of the universe. No one around me wears ribbons anymore and I love imagining you with ribbons in you hair. There is something romantic about them.

September 23, 2018 at 6:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rebecca, you owe me nothing! Very small thank yous for your writing. I love how you’ve written about giving up the weird joy of new in your home, that’s exactly what happened here, many kitties ago.
Xoxo
Barbara

September 23, 2018 at 6:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This also reminds me of the song “Scarlet ribbons”. Haven’t thought of that in so very long.
Xoxo
Barbara

September 23, 2018 at 7:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home