Sunday, May 31, 2020

Pig and farm report

yesterday we had such a huge thunderstorm that it shook the bones of my house and I was scared for the first time ever in a thunderstorm it lasted for one or two hours after I scouted for split trees but found none

my son drove me to town to find Maria Sanchez who runs the little Lopez Family Farm fruit stand on the corner next to the sad furniture store I was so excited and happy to see her that I bought an entire flat of strawberries thinking about ruby red jam I washed the berries then put them in the fridge I truly don’t know if I have the energy to make jam right now I am exhausted with frustration and anger and worry I’ll probably make a small batch of no pectin jam today then freeze the rest for smoothies and try again later

I argued with my son last night which made me sad he wanted to go to Seattle to photograph the mayhem which after all is his life’s work but I told him if he went he would have to stay there at his girlfriend’s house for two weeks to make sure he doesn’t pick up the virus from being in a huge body of people when the plague is still alive and well and waking back up as cities begin to ease restrictions maybe you think I’m being unreasonable it is clear my son thought so but my self preservation instinct is very strong I have not survived abuse and addiction and poverty and mental illness and 40 years of back breaking factory work to be brought down by a virus fuck that noise as we used to say back in the day fuck. that. noise.

I continue to work in the geranium hospital which is what I have renamed the redrum kitchen repotting these fragrant stupid plants that I love I still haven’t painted but I can’t afford it right now shopping through instacart has pretty much depleted my play money I am tired of my own damn cooking of not being able to run to the store every couple of days I continue to work in the garden weeding watering and flinging slugs with a stick every morning waiting for that taste of tomato heart that signals summer and all things good and all things well and all things joyful

today is the anniversary of the Tulsa race massacre which is something to think about to remember to consider with and to hold





10 Comments:

Blogger 37paddington said...

All these protestors risking their lives in more ways than one. I understand you and I also understand your son. And my god, the Tulsa race massacre. Yes, that was today. Bowing my head in solidarity. Holy hell.

May 31, 2020 at 9:34 AM  
Blogger Ms. Moon said...

I can only say that that is one of my favorite pictures you have ever posted. I just repotted three begonias because I needed a small pot for a rooted Swedish Ivy that Jessie gave me. It was like a hermit crab swap meet for shells.
If your son does go, I hope he is safe. I know that goes without saying. I understand these protests but when anything goes violent I get sick to my stomach. I just can't watch.

May 31, 2020 at 10:38 AM  
Blogger Radish King said...

Mary I have been so happy moving my plants from pot to pot as they grow. These are peppermint scented geraniums and attar of rose scented geraniums there is a tiny lime scented geranium hidden behind those that is struggling for life. The three mother plants live in the library. My heart is bereft. I have never been so worried for our democracy.

May 31, 2020 at 11:39 AM  
Blogger Radish King said...

Dear R, I am so overwhelmed today with grief and fear for those young people in the streets risking not only their well being and freedom but risking their lives. I never thought this country would be at risk now I do. The fish rots from the head down. This government proves it.

May 31, 2020 at 1:45 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Atonement and revolution. That's what I'm thinking about today. That picture of eggs and geraniums is beautiful.

June 1, 2020 at 8:14 AM  
Blogger Allison said...

I love your kitchen and the eggs and plants. I'm not sure why I'm surprised by Seattle PD and its atrocious behavior. For some reason I believed that they were better than this, but apparently not. Hope your son stayed home, too much virus in the air.

June 1, 2020 at 2:10 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Thinking of you and your son. May you both stay safe.
Xoxo
Barbara

June 2, 2020 at 4:27 PM  
Blogger Radish King said...

Elizabeth I too am thinking about revolution. All the time now. What that means in terms of change. Atonement to but in different words in my head unfortunately The word atonement speaks to my extreme childhood religious upbringing .

June 3, 2020 at 8:31 AM  
Blogger Radish King said...

Hi Allison. My son photographed the WTO riots. He told me that the SPD would turn off their body cams and hide their badges. Seattle has changed so drastically has lost all its quirk and charm. The police everywhere are the american president’s personal hit men now.

June 3, 2020 at 8:36 AM  
Blogger Radish King said...

Barbara dear one. We are as safe as we can be for now. Sending love and health your way.

June 3, 2020 at 8:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home