Thursday, June 4, 2020

What our sons say



tomorrow my son is going to photograph a protest in Snohomish a small town no one had heard of until it became patient zero for the corona virus Snohomish where I attend the county fair every summer Snohomish where a handful of peaceful protesters were greeted by a sidewalk full of white american proudboys standing with spread legs holding automatic weapons snickering among themselves not only their stances but their faces threatening and ugly

the american president’s boys with a long tradition of  hate

my son quoted Shakespeare to me this morning

The blood of the citizens of Verona makes the hands of the citizens both bloody and uncivilized; that is, not polite, and possibly murderous.

then he quoted some of the lyrics to Billie Holiday’s Strange Fruit and he said that George Floyd was lynched I think so too deliberately horribly and in the open

my son believes we are at the beginning of true worldwide revolution that the protests are not going to stop that they have just begun that the citizens of the world have been oppressed long enough they are rising up as one body to demand change and they will not stop until change is brought forth he tells me he sees children in the streets some as young as high school age young people finally finding their voices their rallying cry










All photographs courtesy of the photographer Page Loudon 

8 Comments:

Blogger Linda Sue said...

astute knowing from your son. Yes, brilliantly observed and expressed. I agree , we are in it for while , until real change is exacted or until we all kill one another as human history goes. Yellowstone is rumbling as well, so, eat the ice cream, two pizza's at one sitting and drink all of the cognac- live in the moment because you know, future may not be in the future. Love to your excellent smart son. The proud boys should have had mothers.

June 4, 2020 at 12:56 PM  
Blogger Ms. Moon said...

I am way past the point of having any idea what will happen next. I've been shocked too many times at the changes which have taken place, the events which have occurred. Even my ideas about what would happen after the last election were entirely too unimaginative. I knew things were going to be bad but...really?
REALLY?!
Well. I do know that Page is a marvelous photographer. What an eye. And obviously- what a mind.

June 4, 2020 at 1:22 PM  
Blogger 37paddington said...

Your son knows. I love how he’s thinking. May he be safe as he marches in the people’s cause.

June 4, 2020 at 7:20 PM  
Blogger Radish King said...

Linda Sue I am forever grateful to my father for taking me camping through the west for an entire summer. Yellowstone is pure magic. My son recently went camping at Glacier. We need to listen more closely to our natural spaces. My kid is the best kid I ever had. Hello!

June 5, 2020 at 9:38 AM  
Blogger Radish King said...

Mary I don’t know what’s going to happen either but I trust my son. He devours every news source he can find he always has and he makes informed decisions where I tend to run more on instinct. Thank you.

June 5, 2020 at 9:41 AM  
Blogger Radish King said...

Thank you darling Rosemarie I will send your message straight to him. Love back. You know it. Stay strong my friend.

June 5, 2020 at 9:42 AM  
Blogger James Lee Jobe said...

Excellent. Fine work!
-James Lee Jobe

June 12, 2020 at 6:51 PM  
Blogger Radish King said...

Thank you James. I will pass your note on to my son.

June 12, 2020 at 9:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home