Wednesday, June 3, 2020

corona 21.

corona 21.

I have never lived in a black body
I have never pulled a splinter from my black son’s foot
I have never breast fed a black daughter
I have never feared for my daughter going to school
I have never schooled my son on how to speak to the police
I have never told my son how to hold his head when he’s sitting alone in his car
I have never been spat on for the color of my skin
I have never been yelled at about the color of my skin
I have never been arrested for just existing in a black body


my chest clenches and opens clenches and opens in grief
I hear their voices all loud frightened angry sad shouting
I can’t breathe
children risking the pandemic to be heard and getting tear gassed at the foot of the nation’s hearth


this is all I can do witness and remember
witness and remember





4 Comments:

Blogger Ms. Moon said...

Yes.

June 3, 2020 at 11:59 AM  
Blogger Linda Sue said...

He said Mama, Mama, the weeping will not stop.

June 3, 2020 at 6:37 PM  
Blogger 37paddington said...

in the middle of reading this i began to sob. it split me wide open.

June 4, 2020 at 10:36 AM  
Blogger Radish King said...

Dear friends I am sorry for answering you all in one comment. It is hard to know what to say right now as an artist but it is extremely important to say something to keep striving for the right combination of thoughts and words. Thank you for being here with me. Thank you for going along on the ride.

Love
Rebecca

June 5, 2020 at 9:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home