Saturday, January 14, 2017

Rabbit Tractate #1

demon salt tree sap
in this my elder
in this my random forest
I string butcher twine
between two cedars
back forth under
and again
and again
my fingers fray
wrap bite sting the bark
break the bark
peel scrape the bark
sweat along the tide lines

visual distress signals
loss of hair
loss of voice
one pennant
a red light above
a white light
danger to small crafts
my body a small craft
ghost propeller bleeding
one red flag
with a black center
on a white light
between two red lights
indicates hurricane force wind

warning!

I stand on his stair
choke the higher limbs
I might fall and break my throat
left wrist
right leg
one square red flag
with a black center
weave and cutcut
the bark leaks
red poison

floating orange smoke
electric distress light
hand-held flares
shove it up inside me
one short blast
means I intend to leave you
on my port side
(island rules)
two short blasts mean
I intend to leave you
on my starboard side
(island rules)

I intend (no)
I intend (no)
I intend (no)

please hear me
sound five short
rapid blasts
if you fail to understand
my intentions

6 Comments:

Blogger 37paddington said...

this is a powerful poem, but troubling too, a cry. are you okay, rebecca?

January 14, 2017 at 11:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hear you, but I'm not sure I understand your intentions. I am sure that I love you. Very powerfully expressed.
Xoxo
Barbara

January 14, 2017 at 11:40 AM  
Blogger carolyn said...

I feel very alarmed. Please let us know you are okay. By the way, you deserve your wonderful new house and a new car. Please look forward to spring and how you will be planting flowers and a garden and living a easier, gentler life.

January 14, 2017 at 2:20 PM  
Blogger Joanne said...

I love you and I feel orried by your words. Please write again to say you are ok. Please.

January 14, 2017 at 11:03 PM  
Blogger Elsewhere said...

you know I'm deaf and blind to poetry, but I did notice the word Rabbit...
Love to you from Amsterdam
The Rabbit Lady

January 15, 2017 at 12:31 PM  
Blogger 37paddington said...

i miss your postings.

January 18, 2017 at 6:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home