Thursday, April 26, 2018

23/30


Stop writing for other writers.
            ~ Don Draper

I have to dance these April poems out wild in my house wearing my nightgown drum solos are best I have to dance like I danced in 1971 to the Beatles slow version of Revolution high on acid for hours in a kitchen on Pike Street I have to dance the words out because I only wrote two poems in a year & I stopped reading & now I have to dance in the forest I used to be fancy I used to show up I was city New York Portland Seattle San Francisco Alexandria Washington D.C. New Orleans Chicago fancy cities starting at thirteen when I escaped now I am a forest on an island I wear my stupid nightgown & red plaid wellingtons to water potatoes planted at spring’s beginning every morning I eat an apple & throw the core into the trees for black tail deer & rabbits every morning I stand outside eating an apple then I dance wild unfettered & I don’t show up & I don’t apologize my litany tegretol clonazepam temazepam ativan trazodone repeated every single day every single & I don’t apologize but sometimes I explain in my nightgown my red plaid wellingtons I explain to the madronas the pines the maples the wild roses the ground swell the salt air the deer the rabbits & I dance furious wild happy happy to push these words out on a page my fancy leaked through my hair my knees my breasts my years in the factory my fingertips my feet my hips & I won’t apologize

2 Comments:

Blogger 37paddington said...

I love this! This is how it is, so vivid, frantic, true.

A poetry teacher my daughter had once told the group that the core agreement poets had to make with themselves was "never explain, never apologize." Don Draper adds something to that coda.

April 26, 2018 at 12:17 PM  
Blogger Radish King said...

Thank you darling thank you and thank you. That line was the best line in a world of best lines. Draper was an asshole but he was a writer too in his heart and in the world. Such a hard road!!! Love.

April 26, 2018 at 1:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home