Sunday, April 1, 2018

Easter


my beach this morning




Dear Darklings,

Welcome to Avril 1 the eggiest day of the year as well as April Fish Day we celebrate in threes eggs with a moon fit to burst still stuck in the trees this cold morning I am baking an angel food cake with real angels and writing and thinking hard purposeful thinking my house is morning-cold just me with a wee fire frogs owls and a purring cat underfoot she follows me from room to room as I measure caster sugar warm my legs at the fire then measure 1 and 3/4 cups cake flour then sit here and type then sift the flour sugar and salt always salt always sifted five times egg whites in the freezer to make my angel rise up with Jesus himself a day of threes egg trinity: woman womb embryo : a fat moon and of course chocolate bunnies. I am happy inside myself. Later I will bake a quiche yet another three with mushrooms romanesco and of course eggs with Pi to spare. I have strawberries macerating in more caster sugar with which to top my angels a splash of blood over their white vestments as angels are always harbingers and not altogether friendly. I wrote a poem already my first April poem. I am in for the long haul 30 poems in 30 days. It is a good way to remember what I love. I  discovered that writing Queer Wing-ed that researching Henry Darger thinking about Henry Darger considering Henry Darger his crimes his passion and his voice has literally changed the way I think about poetry the way I write. I see a new skeleton in my poems a new musculature and an unwillingness to go backward in any way. In the end Henry gave me a brand spanking new courage in my writing practice. Time to go beat the life into my egg whites and get the cake in the cold oven as I was taught by the mama hippies in my life. Love today with rain and a side of cake.


4 Comments:

Blogger 37paddington said...

Cake in the cold oven? Tell me.

April 1, 2018 at 8:15 AM  
Blogger Radish King said...

Yes! I fold the egg whites into the sugar and cake flour gently pour the batter all over my hands accidentally then into the cake pan then cook it in a cold oven then set the temp to 325 for an hour. It always comes out perfectly. I don't know why! oxoxo Happy Easter I hope you feel better today. Love you.

April 1, 2018 at 8:19 AM  
Blogger Ms. Moon said...

Angel food cake is a sort of perfection but when you add the strawberries, it is an even better sort if you ask me. Angels may just be too pure on their own and yes, need that dash of blood color on top, that bright spot of bursting fruit in your mouth.
I am glad you are happy inside. As glad as can be and I look forward to your poems.

April 1, 2018 at 11:45 AM  
Blogger Radish King said...

Mary I just ate cake for breakfast. With the sweet red strawberries oh so delicious. I also saw my first bunny of the year in the yard pale beige coat very white fluffy bunny tail so beautiful eating leaves off the pink rose bush near my bedroom. She is welcome to them. I loved watching her. xoxox

April 1, 2018 at 12:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home