Saturday, April 28, 2018

In case you were curious or you like to bake


Pane Bianco

3 cups bread dough
2 teaspoons yeast
½ half teaspoon sugar
1 ¼ teaspoons salt
1 large egg
½ cup lukewarm milk
1/3rd cup lukewarm water
3 tablespoons olive oil

¾ cup shredded Italian blend cheese (I added a cup)
½ cup oil-packed sundried tomatoes well drained and chopped (or cut with scissors)
3 to 6 cloves garlic peeled and minced (if you like garlic I don’t can no longer eat it so I use garlic salt before I roll it up)
1/3rd cup chopped fresh basil

mix yeast sugar and milk and water in the bowl of your stand mixer let it proof for ten minutes
add the oil and egg and mix
add the flour and knead the dough for ten minutes with the dough hook of the mixer until dough is very soft you can do this by hand and sometimes I do if I want to beat something up

turn the dough into a buttered bowl butter the top of the dough and let it rise in a draft free spot for one hour or until the dough has doubled in size

gently deflate the dough then flatten and pat it into a 22” long and 8 ½“ wide or so rectangle I used my extra large Silapt and it was the perfect length for this dough and it makes clean up a snap I also use a large ruler for this part but I get funny that way in the kitchen

spread the cheese on the dough then the tomatoes then the basil don’t make it too heavy with toppings or the bread will break this can be kind of tricky so if you aren’t used to stuffed breads go cautiously the first time!

roll the dough up like you would roll cinnamon rolls
pinch the long seam shut
transfer the dough seam side down to a lightly greased sheet pan (I greased my regulation size Silpat for this but greased it first)

starting ½ inch in from one end of the log use kitchen shears to cut the log lengthwise down the center 1 inch deep and ½ inch from the other end

Still keeping the cut side up form the dough into an S shape
Tuck both ends under the center of the S to form a figure 8
Pinch the ends together to seal

Cover the loaf and let it rise in a draft free place until double 45 to 60 minutes


bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes after 20 minutes tent the dough then finish baking (my oven runs hot so I first baked it at 370 then lowered to 360 for second 20 minutes) be very careful when you lift it off the baking sheet onto the cooling rack it is wobbly in the middle until it cools

this bread looks beautiful and it seems tricky but it actually is very easy and tasty especially the next day yum


























2 Comments:

Blogger Ms. Moon said...

1. I had never heard of Silpat and now it would seem that I must have a mat of it.
2. My baking sheets are so old that I remember baking cookies on them when I was about eight years old and they were old then.
3. Maybe it's time for me to upgrade my kitchen things a bit.
4. I could never in a million years make that bread and have it come out that pretty.
5. I might make it anyway but I doubt seriously I will be taking pictures.
6. You and I have should have a baking/cooking show. It would be hysterical. Probably.

April 28, 2018 at 3:37 PM  
Blogger Radish King said...

I am a cooking ho but thus a baking princess thus the ruler in my kitchen. I think our baking show would be SPECTACULAR!!!!!!
xoxox

April 28, 2018 at 4:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home