Wednesday, October 3, 2018

Pig and farm report

yesterday morning I walked down the hall toward my bedroom and noticed my floor was damp my beauty deep blue new carpet wet wet danger once I got to my bedroom I noticed it was even wetter by the bathroom and I saw water droplets on the tiles there and I dropped to my knees in a panic feeling the very wet carpet there panic panic panic patting the rug feeling the water I knew the pipes under the house had collapsed I knew the ceiling in the bathroom was leaking the roof had caved in I knew the water heater had busted and flowed from my closet into the rest of the house I knew the washing machine had given up the ghost and walked full of water down my hall into my bedroom leaking its guts

it turns out that Wolfie had fallen in the full tub and she shot out of there down the hall then back to hide and dry herself under my bed

it turns out that my closet which houses the water heater was perfectly dry

it turns out that my son was in his room and then he found me on the floor patting the rug crying in a panic

it turns out everything was okay

this is what PTSD looks like

*

after that I invented a recipe for carameled apple cinnamon rolls with cream cheese and vanilla and cointreau frosting which turned out to be OH MY GOD delicious though next time I'll only use half as much sugar on the dough before I roll it up here is what they looked like before their second rise


and here is how they looked right after I put the frosting on before it melted down into the rolls

while I was making them I cut my thumb deeply on a brand new paring knife which I bought specifically for apple season and now I need to figure out how I made them retrace my steps and write down the recipe because they were amazing

*

last night I walked outside for a minute and there was the owl in the foliage under an ancient tree in front of my house he looked at me and I stopped breathing then he looked around then down as if he were about to kill something helpless then he looked back at me and then flew up and over my head so close I felt him in my hair it is the same owl oh god do I have an owl friend now oh god a forest gift

I have been depressed for a while but this morning I was able to read some poetry and in other poetry news I had a poem accepted for a magazine it will be the last poem the zine ever publishes as they can no longer afford to keep afloat

it was 37 degrees when I woke this morning
nothing was wrong with my beautiful house
I had the first oatmeal of the season with rich gold sultanas and brown sugar

Hello Darklings from the magik forest and love


6 Comments:

Blogger Ms. Moon said...

And love to you in your magical place with your owl familiar/friend.
I could eat those cinnamon rolls through the internet. I swear, I could. I can.
I am making fall food for tonight even though it is as hot as summer and horrible here. White bean chili and red cabbage with apples and raisins. Jessie and August and Levon are here and it is so busy and a little crazy but as August would say, "Pretty good."
So.
Congratulations on your poem. I am sorry about that magazine. What suckage.

October 3, 2018 at 2:30 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Sigh on every single word of this post. The owls. The cinnamon rolls. Your words.

October 3, 2018 at 9:30 PM  
Blogger Radish King said...

Mary white bean chili sounds perfect. It’s 37 this morning. I’m not worried about the magazine going out of business it’s the nature of the beast. I’m really delighted that this poem will be published mostly because it’s 803 words haha.

October 4, 2018 at 7:59 AM  
Blogger Radish King said...

Elizabeth thank you! That owl! I swear he watches me I must look like one tasty dinner. Especially full of cinnamon rolls as I am. Most of them are traveling to points south and east I am relieved to say. They were even better yesterday. XO

October 4, 2018 at 8:01 AM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

your cinnamon rolls look exactly as i remember my mother's. this is a good memory. i am beginning, a little, to have good ones. but as i still don't trust her, i don't really welcome them. i hate bad mothers.

October 6, 2018 at 10:20 AM  
Blogger 37paddington said...

I have missed a few posts here it seems. i am sorry i missed this one, your PTSD, which makes so much sense. I am glad it was only Wolfie.

October 10, 2018 at 10:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home