Sunday, February 12, 2017

I saw my first ever in my life Short-Eared Owl (caps? no caps? I put the caps in because the sighting felt holy) two days ago coming home from dinner at barely dusk I was driving into my yard when the owl swooped right past my windshield this crazy huge wingspan I thought at first it was the Great Blue Heron who lounges on my deck carrying a white paper bag in its beak but when the owl flew away it turned and looked at me so close I saw his eyes...heart stopping. I have been hearing him for days and scouting around I have discovered several mouse-sized owl pellets but to see him finally was a door opening into ancient and thrilling wild. The Great Blue Heron is a peeping Tom I keep catching him looking in he startles me in the most spectacular way. I posted this also on FB sorry for repeating it here so much easier than retyping.

this is what he looks like


























this is maybe only the third day since I moved here that I have felt okay as in not sick as in both mentally stable and able to eat and drink water without pain what a relief to wake and feel alright perfectly fine in my body I heated up some red beans and rice for breakfast and drank actual coffee then I put the dishes in the dishwasher then I mopped the floors with vinegar then I did a load of laundry then I set Bobbie the Robot on the cat's room (formerly known as The Library) and shook out the big rubber mat on which her litter boxes rest and moved stuff around then I cleaned  and resealed my granite counters and I'm going to polish them here in a minute and I have not felt sick once this morning not one single time

I discovered an amazing Thai "restaurant" more like a Thai "nook" inside the IGA on the island where only the elderly and the townies shop with the occasional tourist thrown in especially now with the big bird festival which has been canceled not sure why but I suspect it's lack of funding but he who shall not be named or as they called him in the Harry Potter books YOU KNOW WHO but the birders flock in nevertheless (hahahaha flock) you can spot them by their giant binoculars and expensive cameras and vests-of-many-pockets and their salon styled hair 

my house smells delicious by the way

I finally feel like baking

*

I had to get cable teevee in order to have any teevee and also to watch Twin Peaks when it finally returns to television after 25 years this May I find it odd that cable teevee is mostly cooking shows and shows about 600 pound people overcoming the odds and the cooking shows bore me because they are mostly meat-centric unless it's children cooking and the 600 pound people make me so proud and so full of love for humans that I can barely contain it I have struggled with weight most of my life and I understand this deeply

mostly cable teevee has caused me to become a reader again after a year of reading almost nothing right now I'm reading The Three-Body Problem by Cixin Liu it is actually three gigantic books that won the Hugo Award and the reason I'm reading them is because I read that it was what Obama was reading his last day in the White House superb books and how I loved finding out that My President loves science fiction

Love to you on this winter Sunday my Darklings here is the beach I visited yesterday in my pajamas and my fancy pink winter wool coat and my moccasin slippers




6 Comments:

Blogger Ms. Moon said...

Absolutely holy.

February 12, 2017 at 11:07 AM  
Blogger Radish King said...

Mary it he-she was AMAZING. Oh god I love it here.
xoxox

February 12, 2017 at 11:15 AM  
Blogger Joanne said...

I am SO glad to hear you are feeling better. The owl - amazing! I love hearing of your adventures. I love you.

February 12, 2017 at 11:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love to you. The pink coat! What a beautiful creature with eyes wide open.
Enjoy your baking and thanking the animal Gods that you are healing.
Xoxo
Barbara

February 12, 2017 at 11:57 AM  
Blogger 37paddington said...

I'm so glad you're feeling better. How romantic going down to the beach in your pjs and beautiful pink coat and moccasins.

February 12, 2017 at 6:15 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Oh god that owl. I'm obsessed.

February 17, 2017 at 5:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home