Friday, May 5, 2017

All energy flows according to the whims of the great magnet. ~ Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

it's been weird hasn't it?
weirdness every-fucking-where
online (bickering whining terror honest to bog terror) or simplistic FB memes that seem ridiculous in the face of these times
outside too yesterday in the parking lot of the one big supermarket here in Island County they held a community-wide prayer meeting and although I didn't attend I can tell you for a fact that they weren't praying for the disenfranchised the poor the ill the wide Latino population here who work the fields and farms and bag our groceries and cook our restaurant meals no this prayer meeting was for he-who-shall-not-be-named

I have never before wished a grave illness on anyone but I have wanted someone dead and I do now again

it's been really fucking weird and while I am happy in my corner of the forest I am shutting the world at large out as much as I can and I think everyday of writing here but I am loathe to turn on my computer and let the vile leak all over me

in other news I bought some raspberry plants from the lady who owns the buffalos(bison) who I have named Brenda and Kevin though I didn't tell her that I didn't even really want the raspberry plants I just wanted to get close to the bison and I did and they are amazing

yesterday the sun came out and I got outside and prepared one of the raised garden beds I pulled weeds and plants and tugged on roots and shoveled the dirt turned every inch of it over then I spread some good organic compost then I spread a layer of eggshells on that then I put some rich top soil on top of that then I added some manure then I added some more top soil then I added mulch and by then I felt amazing and it was 73 degrees and I raked all the pinecones off the path (the hill) that leads to my mailbox then I went to Dari-Delite for a veggie burger then I came home and promptly puked it all up and today not only am I sick my shoulders hurt my armpits hurt and my back hurts

here is the first box or part of it as soon as I went to take the photo it started raining and we had a four hour thunderstorm so I had to take the photo from the kitchen window you can see all the weeds I pulled and about 1/4 of the bed sorry it's all reflectivey once it stops raining this afternoon (if it stops) I'll put the green stuff I pulled out into the green recycling bin



















yesterday while I was working three deer came into the yard and one gigantic jack rabbit also appeared they wanted to know what I was planting and when was dinner I told them I had tomatoes and cucumber seeds and three different kinds of radish seeds and carrots and peppers ready to go and that they were welcome to eat my son's roses instead

I have been cooking enchilada sauce all morning
I mopped the kitchen floor
my armpits hurt from pulling out stubborn roots and I thought of Mary the entire time I was getting the first bed ready I have three more to go and I will continue to think of Mary as I plant and weed and dig and make the soil loamy and rich

I am reading a cookbook called The Gefilte Manifesto by Jeffrey Yoskowitz and Liz Alpern which is amazing with a huge entire section on making pickles RECOMMENDED!!! and Patricia Lockwood's memoir Priestdaddy and I'm watching Neil Gaiman's American Gods also recommended very violent but beautiful magical realism and I read the book ten years ago so I'm prepared for the awful parts none of which are as bad as the so-called-real-world and listening to Joni Mitchell the rest of the time Court and Spark and Blue

well the oven just beeped at me begging for enchiladas the cats continue to parallel play I bought a small charcoal grill and the seed catalogs finally arrove smelling like Christmas and peonies



ps. I've had those frog candle sticks since 1970 I had to light candles around the house last night because we lost power during the storm and I cannot yet afford a generator

xo

psps. I met the woman who owns the foal that I saw being born apparently the foal has a tortured intestine (it turns out so do I) they are not sure the foal will live but she is chestnut with a blond mane and tiny and also PYGMY GOATS! oh bog they make me laugh like crazy they live with the colt and his owner named Sharran I really liked Sharran and she just hugged me after we talked and giggled I'm not the only old hippie on this island thank bog


5 Comments:

Blogger Ms. Moon said...

You know what? I absolutely love the idea of being thought of by you, weeding and tending dirt. Absolutely and with all of my heart and now my eyes are stinging a little bit.
I like your frogs. I gave my Lis a frog bowl once and it would go well with those candlesticks. Also, the tablecloth underneath them- we have similar sensibilities, you and I.
Hank told me to read American Gods and I did and I want to watch that show too.
Be tender with yourself, Rebecca. You don't have to pull all of the weeds in all of the boxes. You can start with one and go from there. As you know.
May the enchiladas stay inside where they belong and may all of your seeds take root and may your animal gods continue to watch over, to visit and to love you.

May 5, 2017 at 2:44 PM  
Blogger liv said...

Glorious post, glorious you. The thought of you outside with the dirt under your fingernails and animals to talk with is heartwarming.
Raspberries are my favorite. My eye see's them on your kitchen table, jewels for the picking.
So sorry for the puking up. I will envision a happy tum for you and the little foal. XO

May 5, 2017 at 2:50 PM  
Blogger Radish King said...

Mary, is there anything more wondrous than a freshly turned garden? It has been almost four years since I had to give up my garden at the old place because once I got laid off I could no longer afford the water bills. I have missed it terribly. I am filled with joy just looking at the dumb photo of my window and that rich gorgeous dirt. xoxox

May 5, 2017 at 2:55 PM  
Blogger Radish King said...

Live, raspberries are my second favorite fruit (figs of course top the list) and I bought both red and gold and have a perfect spot for them also I got within touching distance of Brenda and Kevin and bison and yes I was schooled by their human on the difference between buffalo and bison. It's all about the horns!!! Hahaha I just cracked myself up. The enchiladas are ready and I want to photograph them which is kind of ridiculous but I want to capture how they smell. I'll freeze them for when my guts are once again working. xoxox

May 5, 2017 at 2:58 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

I love this post.

May 10, 2017 at 12:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home