Thursday, June 8, 2017

today our water distribution pipes are being flushed so we all seven houses that share the well have been requested to not use any water between 9 AM and noon so my son and I are heading for Seattle for fun he showed up last night and yelled (kindly) at me for going swimming without him!
but I am ahead of myself as usual
the two things I promised myself when I moved here was that I would find a lake to swim in and that I would spend the summer swimming and riding horses
I've been all around the island which is a protected wetlands that is chock full of lakes lakes everywhere! and every lake I have discovered here is marked PRIVATE NO TRESPASSING TURN AROUND GO AWAY WE HAVE GUNS AND ATTACK DOGS YOU WILL BE SHOT AND BIT THERE ARE CAMERAS IN THE TREES RECORDING YOUR EVERY MOVE INTRUDER INTRUDER etc except of course for the waters (some of them anyway) of Possession Sound which is salty and freezy and full of whales and sharknados and all the glories of the deep deep blue too cold for a swim
yesterday morning I was at the point of joining the local indoor swimming pool though I much prefer to swim in open waters then last night around seven when the heat hit 80 degrees I went in search of a fabled lake once again I drove into Stanwood our sister town following GPS coordinates that don't work worth a fart here (my cell phone barely works) and went on a strange winding road that passed farms and old barns and new barns and a place named The Blacktail Forest and finally I found Lake Goodwin and I was so excited I locked up my car and waded right out in my sherbet striped shorts and t-shirt and swam with babies and teenagers and old ladies night swimming in the most gorgeous and huge lake and oh oh oh and now I am completely happy


















Lake Goodwin sounds like Lady Goodwin which was Penny Lane's actual name in Almost Famous a movie I adore here is a random photo of ducklings at the lake
















and there were wild iris gorgeous
























the lake was not crowded but I talked to a couple on the dock and man and a woman my age who were nice and no one seemed to judge me for plowing into the water and heading out fully clothed no judgement not one bit and I am utterly happy to have finally found my lake and I can avoid the dread chlorine and pee filled pool also I found a bowling alley but that's for another day my joys are simple for the most part

my son came home about the same time as I and I was still damp wrapped in my peach polka dotted beach towel and he had been stung under his left eyebulb by a bee who flew into his truck window as he was driving good bog and ouch so I doctored him up and made him a croissant sandwich and he is going with me today to Seattle

I love to make puff pastry and make my own croissants but I have a wee crush on the baker at the crab place which is also a butcher place and a coffee roaster place I put on lipstick and summer dresses when I go there to buy my 2# bags of coffee beans (that is a sign for pound not a hashtag which I know you know but my eyebulb right away thought it was in the wrong place) and I flirt mightily with the baker who came around the corner yesterday and fed me a piece of vanilla cake "with real vanilla beans" he was inventing and I swooned I did boyohboy does he know the way to a girl's pinched little heart

this post is all over the place I woke early this morning after my son screamed in his sleep which caused the cats to explode from their hiding places I made coffee and watched morning arrive in rain with Jupiter on my lap it is thrilling to watch my forest wake to see the hawks and eagles dive straight down to scoop up bog knows what though I've seen them carrying salmon through the trees and crabs too the giant Dungeness crabs for which we are famous I have put spells of invisibility on the bunnies to keep them safe but I know the forest and I am yes in perpetual denial about that

good morning Darklings may your Thursday be merry and bright and merry and full of wonder here is a small bouquet of my son's fragrant roses that he originally planted when he was in high school for you and you and you and you red and yellow together make my whole shimmering corporeal being happy I hope you find the same


12 Comments:

Blogger Ms. Moon said...

Thank you, Rebecca. It is gray and showery here in North Florida and cool, too, and I feel as if there is never going to be anything in my life worth a spit of warm spit again which, to be honest, is probably a little depression because all I want to do is get in the bed again where Maurice is still cuddled in the covers. I need to go get my grandsons who are, by very definition, Merry and Bright, and I am thinking of you and the lake and the roses and the delicious taste of vanilla mixed with sugar by a genius.

June 8, 2017 at 7:10 AM  
Blogger Radish King said...

Oh Mary how do we survive the Dread Pirate Depression? I'm so sorry it's hounding you today. I sent you a lumpy envelope covered in Christmas themed stamps and tape. Watch your emails! Love, The Lady of the Lake

June 8, 2017 at 7:22 AM  
Blogger 37paddington said...

Your kingdom is magical. I am lost in a concrete summer, pining for an island.

June 8, 2017 at 8:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This sounds so full of joy, all of it except for the bee sting. What a bog awful place! Glad there was wasn't an accident. Hope you are having a fabulous time in Seattle. Much love
P.s. I have a wee crush on my baker too a.k.a. cookie man.
Xoxo
Barbara

June 8, 2017 at 1:56 PM  
Blogger Radish King said...

Dearest R, it is magical here and becomes more so every day but I long for your feral most remarkable city the only city in the world that counts. You can come here for a week of solitude in October while I visit N.Y. then if you want. Wouldn't that be grand? Longing for your lights, love.

June 8, 2017 at 5:17 PM  
Blogger Radish King said...

Barbara, I got stung on my left nipple once when I was gardening. I had to tuck an ice pack in my bra for days. Luckily the boy is a fast thinking sort and he pulled over to remove the stinger. Yikes. The Animal Gods don't play favorites do they? They give us such tender joy and such exquisite pain. Also I still garden nekkid. So what? My garden looks spectacular. Love

June 8, 2017 at 5:21 PM  
Blogger Joanne said...

You sound so happy and serene. The place you live is so splendid. I'm digging your life

June 8, 2017 at 10:26 PM  
Blogger Marylinn Kelly said...

Your lake at last, by golly, and I also love ALMOST FAMOUS, as I do red and yellow roses. My treat this week: a whopping yellow Fiesta Ware mug the size of (approx.) a cereal bowl and about as hefty. Where had it been all my life? Arriving late to your post, hoping Seattle was a grand day out for you both. Tales from the island. Life is good. xo

June 10, 2017 at 9:14 PM  
Blogger Elsewhere said...

That bowl and vase!!!! Breathless...

June 11, 2017 at 9:09 AM  
Blogger Radish King said...

Joanne I'm happier than I've ever been in my life. Happy with my life inside and out.love

June 11, 2017 at 9:30 AM  
Blogger Radish King said...

Marylinn Seattle made me ache for the island. I will write of it later. Your cereal bowl sounds spectacular. I love yellow dishes and the heft of fiesta ware well done! Love

June 11, 2017 at 9:32 AM  
Blogger Radish King said...

Dear The Rabbit Lady creamer and sugar bowl designed by Laura Zindel. I put the here for you!!!
Love from the Land of Wild Bunnies

June 11, 2017 at 9:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home