Monday, August 5, 2019

Pig and farm report

The rhythm of a long line is also an animal cry.
-- Allen Ginsberg

I have so much I want to write so much I want to tell you but each day brings more horror and hatred and racism and death in the news and that stops me though I am writing writing I'm still sending bodiless messages to my own email I want to try again here today even though my heart has left the building even though my meat sack carries such worry and sorrow for all of us

I want to write about some magic that happened to me

it may seem like I didn't celebrate my birthday it felt like that to me too that I failed to celebrate myself for the first time since I was four years old when birthdays became magic because they were part of summer because they were the culmination of summer's ripe desire and deep rot and brought a promise of freedom and a sense of change and new school supplies even though I can only remember having one birthday party and it was dreadful and drunken and loud and probably involved screaming and possibly handguns

all of this lack of party (even though I made myself an angel food cake) (even though I had two pieces of angel food cake for breakfast that day) (even though the breakfast cake made me feel kind of sick) (even though it will be a while before I eat angel food cake again) I rallied that night when I had dinner with my son at the Mexican restaurant near his job and I realized that I am happy not hahawheee happy but deep down happy with my life right now many of the birthdays I spent at the Oregon coast were in times of unhappiness a way to escape what always felt like imminent danger

none of that is important because I want to tell you what happened the day after my birthday

my hairdresser for a billion years Mandy finally quit and decided to travel the world with her husband last I heard from her they were in Vietnam which is splendid but here I was with a literal giant wad of hair on my head over a year's worth of hair so I made an appointment with a hairdresser across the street from my favorite ever greasy spoon restaurant in Stanwood a little place called Wash & Wear I got there at 2 pm and right off the bat an infant guinea pig was inexplicably thrust into my hands I held it under my chin where it chirped and clicked or however you describe guinea pig sounds and the little girl who handed me the pig was at a large divided cage which held the mama guinea pig on one side and a giant rabbit on the other the giant rabbit belonged to a young boy about ten or eleven years old who was getting an emergency haircut because he was taking the aforementioned giant rabbit to the Stanwood Camano Fair which began the next day I didn't mind the wait because if I am handed an Animal God right off the get go I know I'm in the right place after Sarah (she is the sole owner and hairdresser of W&W) finished cutting the boy's hair she made him sweep it up himself and then three other little girls probably seven and eight years old came into the shop and they were giggling and putting on the sample creams and singing into hairbrushes and I was in the chair by then getting foil attached to my white hairs and then the girls put on quite a show with acrobatics including handstands and headstands and cartwheels and splits and one of the girls did a backbend called the table after which a bottle of water was balanced on her stomach all of this in this tiny shop my hair was completely done by then so I clapped and cheered them on and wildly applauded the girls who went on to do a complicated hand clapping routine and Sarah's husband came in and asked the girls if they wanted ice cream which of course they all did so they trooped across the street to my favorite ever greasy spoon where it turns out Sarah's husband is the cook and Sarah and I talked and talked and she put more foils in my head enough to keep out all alien rays then eventually the girls came back Sarah's daughter she of the guinea pigs and the other three girls who turned out to be their neighbors and by then I could feel steam rising off my hair as it got lighter and lighter and it was 97 degrees and I think my head was on fire by then but oh jesus it was fun and those girls were funny and sweet and Sarah is simply an amazing person and by the time she started pulling the foils out of my head the girls had all gone home with their dad in Sarah's truck and I got a perfect haircut then it was over but the whole day was incredible and fantastic and funny and full and I am now very very very blonde think Marilyn blonde

the battery on my computer is at a dreaded 5% so I'm about to sign off it is the beginning of August the time of Great Winding Down and of course those new school supplies and now that I have chipped the ice off of my dark guts I will be back sooner

Love to you Darklings who find me here when I can and when I can


12 Comments:

Blogger Ms. Moon said...

This is the kind of story I live for. The unexpected magical story of unexpected magic. Children and alchemy and ice cream and small businesses and true talk and letting go of it all and being able to talk too. You are the most amazing writer and have given us this day of your life by chipping the ice off your guts. I adore you. I love you. Amen.

August 5, 2019 at 4:18 PM  
Blogger Radish King said...

Thank you darling Mary. I feel like my strength returned inside that hair salon like opposite Sampson.
Love
Really really blonde Rebecca

August 5, 2019 at 4:30 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

I love reading your posts when they go on like this and are so rich and full of laughter and humor and all the deep stuff. And I thank you for mentioning how difficult it is to write when all this constant shit just takes up all the room, and I am going to write a blog post myself because you've inspired me. Thank you. And The Great Winding Down winds all the way down to my birthday on the 27th which is a weird, weird day to have a birthday and always has been.

August 5, 2019 at 8:09 PM  
Blogger Radish King said...

Elizabeth thank you it goes on and on in my head only noisier it’s so fine to be able to finally speak here to have a great day in spite of everything.
Love
Rebecca

August 5, 2019 at 8:25 PM  
Blogger Radish King said...

ps it is only a weird day in that you are remarkable and you Mary and I...27...28...29...no coincidences ❤️

August 5, 2019 at 8:39 PM  
Blogger 37paddington said...

You found a magical hair salon and I'm so happy you shared the joy of it, we need the joy of it more than ever. I'm having a hard time writing too. But now I shall anyway. Thank you dear Rebecca.

August 5, 2019 at 8:57 PM  
Blogger Radish King said...

Dearest R one word at a time is so easy and sometimes so impossible. Hello from here where I woke to fog strange and perfect. Love
Rebecca

August 6, 2019 at 8:54 AM  
Blogger Radish King said...

Ps. I’m planning for NY for my next birthday no matter what. Now I have put it into the world now I have pinned my heart to a map. I plan on reading there and I hope you will come. All this is dreamtime for now but I am creating my vision.

August 6, 2019 at 8:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you finally get to feel happy!it sounds like the day after your birthday is as perfect as it gets! Much love.
Xoxo
Barbara

August 6, 2019 at 10:38 AM  
Blogger Radish King said...

Hello Barbara! My day after birthday was so much better than my day of. In July I assembled a lawn mower and an office chair both arrived in tiny pieces rattling around in large cardboard boxes that are still in the outer outer room. But I felt very grown up about it.
Love
Rebecca

August 7, 2019 at 7:53 AM  
Blogger Adie Das said...

What a wonderful place! I wanna come their to have my manes treated. Love the easy way you have with the kids, the chirping guinea baby and the lovely adults. It's proof goodness exists. Still.

August 8, 2019 at 2:08 AM  
Blogger Radish King said...

Darling Rabbit, I have always fared better with animals and children than grown humans and I feel so lucky about that 🐇🐇🐇♥️

August 12, 2019 at 4:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home