Saturday, November 23, 2019

Radical self care



yesterday I took a luxury bath early then dried my hair with a hair dryer and did not watch or listen to the news nor did I check my twitter feed which is basically the news then I drove to the beach and ate vegetarian hash at the Cama Beach Cafe a tiny cafe in the far end of this lodge that I always call The Overlook Hotel the cafe itself is only five tables crammed into one end of this giant room and it’s always packed during the summer the food is delicious and the view of the forest and The Saratoga Passage is superb and I did not read a newspaper nor did I check my twitter feed I love how those two windows above that stone fireplace look like stained glass but that was just early morning light and the old growth forest that cradles us here after I took most of my breakfast to my car in a cardboard box I walked to the beach and stood there admiring the fog and breathing the salt water fragrance then I drove to the library and I did not listen to the news or check my twitter feed then I went to town and bought Yukon gold potatoes for my dinner next Thursday listening all the while to Neil Young’s new album Colorado in my car and I promise you it is superb and moving with his old band Crazy Horse and I was just bowled over by how much like Neil Young he sounded how clean and powerful his lyrics I came home and did not read my twitter feed nor did I listen to the news or turn on the television I ate one dark chocolate truffle and lounged about and then I swept the deck free of pine needles and walked the perimeter of my woods my haven it has been a year and a week since I tumbled and fell in the woods in the black night in my nightgown and my knee has finally completely healed in one week it will have been three years since I got the keys for this house my house and we started frantically moving out of that awful rotten place in the city later on I read by the fire and heated up my giant pot of soup and I did not check the news nor did I look at my twitter feed I ate soup and bread and went to bed and watched my favorite Christmas movie It’s A Wonderful Life and fell asleep with the movie on and slept all night through for the first time in weeks hello hello out there please be surviving the horrible crushing in of the mayonnaise based holidays be safe and give yourself a day of delicious pampering 

4 Comments:

Blogger Ms. Moon said...

Perfection in all regards.
I love you, you violinist poet. To the stars and back.

November 23, 2019 at 6:39 AM  
Blogger Radish King said...

Hello Mary! I was up at 5:30 this morning putting my soup in containers to store in my freezer and I thought of you and knew you would understand. Big love my friend. 💕

November 23, 2019 at 6:58 AM  
Blogger 37paddington said...

I applaud the self care in not listening to the news or checking your Twitter feed although I think you would have enjoyed Fiona Hill she is my new hero and I think I fell in love.

November 23, 2019 at 6:15 PM  
Blogger Radish King said...

Dear R, I listened to her entire hearing and she was incredible it was yesterday and again today that I had to shut it down to great effect. Love
Rebecca

November 23, 2019 at 6:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home